Chapter 35

The marquis was returning.

Before he set off, Yan Ting had sent a letter home. Therefore, the Weiyuan Marquis Estate had received the letter when he was still five or six days away. He didn't say much in the letter and merely said how long it would take him to get there.

Everyone in the Weiyuan Marquis Estate started moving. Old Madam Yan was full of smiles the entire day. The usually low-key Concubine Pei also revealed some joy in her expression. Instead, Shen Yi Yao's joyful expression occasionally revealed a trace of worry. But since everyone's thoughts were preoccupied with the marquis's letter, no one paid attention to her.

Yan Ting arrived in the blink of an eye.

Knowing the marquis would arrive today, the estate had made arrangements bright and early. The estate had been swept clean and everyone wore new clothes and jewelry, as though they were welcoming some major hero's grand return.

Yan Yan brought Yan Mo over in preparation. Seeing the old madam's pleased expression, she really wanted to tell her not to count her chickens before they hatched. Of course, these words couldn't be said out loud. She was just a child on the surface, and her grandfather had also told her to pretend like she didn't know anything.

In the afternoon, the housekeeper stationed at the city gates came to report that the marquis had entered the city. The old madam hurriedly convened the household to wait by the doors.

Before long, Yan Ting rode up with a group of people.

Yan Ting wore a polished leather armor and leisurely rode a black horse. He was tall and upright, looking extremely heroic and handsome. Actually Yan Ting had a pretty good appearance. He was tall and slender, but not rough-looking. He had a handsome appearance, with slanted brows and thin lips. His dark pupils contained a hidden sharpness. He had a reserved air yet didn't lack in firmness.

Regardless, Yan Yan saw her mom's expression which had been distracted initially suddenly become...excited.

Yan Ting got off the horse and took two step to kneel in front of Old Madam Yan.

"Mom, your son has returned."

"It's good that you're back, it's good that you're back." The old madam wiped her tears and hurriedly pulled him up.

The rarely seen Eldest Lord Yan, Yan Zhi, and the Third Lord Yan, Yan Qu was present as well. Yan Zhi was over thirty, and was fat and bearded. He warmly patted Yan Ting a couple of times. "Old two, it's good that you're back."

Yan Ting's eyes were withdrawn and calm. He greeted his eldest brother. The always refined and taciturn Yan Qu also called out second brother in greeting. Compared to Yan Zhi, the two blood related brothers had a better relationship. At least, Yan Ting's gaze grew quite a bit softer and he patted his little brother's shoulder.

Then Yan Ting's gaze turned to the right onto Shen Yi Yao.

He walked over. "Yao'er." His expression wasn't passionate but he grabbed onto Shen Yi Yao's hand.
Shen Yi Yao looked excited, her eyes turning slightly red. "Husband."

"Are you well?"

"I'm very well....."

On the side, Concubine Pei's delicate white hands squeezed her skirt tightly, her veins faintly visible.
"Enough. Second brother and sister-in-law, stop showing off your affection. Hurry and go inside. There will be time for you to talk later." Xue-shi teased with a smile and helped the old madam back into the estate.

Shen Yi Yao lowered her head bashfully. Yan Ting lightly laughed and patted her hand before following them in.

The group of people grandly entered the estate and went towards the Rongan Hall.