Chapter 69.2

Uncle Peng wasn't an ordinary steward. He was a commander under the Zhenguo Duke Estate back in the day. During a battle, he had become crippled while protecting the Zhenguo Duke. He thus retreated behind the scenes to organize the estate's various affairs. He had watched the estate's young masters and misses grow up, and their relationships weren't ordinary.

Uncle Peng's leg was slightly lame, though it wasn't noticeable when he stood still.

Although Uncle Peng was crippled, none of the elite in the capital dared underestimate him. They didn't even dare reveal the slightest abnormality. This was because they all knew he was the Zhenguo Duke's trusted aide.

The old madam almost put on a smile out of habit, but managed to react in time. Her expression was a little rigid. Yan Ting sat there with his usual obscure gaze.

The two people didn't say anything and the atmosphere was very awkward.

Uncle Peng pretended not to notice and limped over to Shen Yi Yao.

Shen Yi Yao was stiff all over, and didn't even dare raise her head.

"Eldest miss, why are you sitting on the floor?" Uncle Peng's voice was very gentle.

Shen Yi Yao timidly raised her head, "Uncle Peng...."

"Hurry and get up. Careful not to catch a cold."

The old madam couldn't keep watching. A mere steward dared to not take them seriously. Shouldn't he be terrified and speak nicely to them? This nonchalant appearance was truly an eyesore!

She rubbed her bracelet and spoke with a sunken expression, "Since you're here to represent the Zhenguo Duke Estate, shouldn't you first give our household an explanation? No matter how powerful your Zhenguo Duke Estate is, you still can't treat lives like weeds!"

Uncle Peng pulled Shen Yi Yao up before turning to face the old madam and Yan Ting.
"Everything the old madam wants to say, your noble estate's steward has already told me."

After he spoke, he turned to Shen Yi Yao. "Eldest miss, did you do it?"

"I didn't. I didn't do it."

It seemed that with Uncle Peng's arrival, Shen Yi Yao found her backbone. At least her tone was a little less helpless and had a bit more strength behind it.
Uncle Peng no longer spoke, and merely looked calmly at the two people up above.

The old madam was a little angry and humiliated from the stare. "This steward, is your meaning that she didn't do it as long as she says she didn't? The evidence is all there. Are you saying we're falsely accusing her?!"

"Old madam, please remain calm. No one is suspecting you of falsely accusing people." Uncle Peng's voice was steady. "Our Zhenguo Duke Estate believes your noble estate has the evidence, and that it's conclusive. But at the same time--"
He gave Shen Yi Yao a glance, "We also believe our miss isn't someone who would do such a thing."

The old madam wanted to speak but was stopped by Uncle Peng's raised hand.

"Before I came, the lord duke had given instructions. He hasn't forgiven the eldest miss, but that's something between father and daughter. It has nothing to do with others or the Weiyuan Marquis Estate. Additionally, the lord duke still trusts his own daughter's character more. Our Zhenguo Duke Estate's people never do anything underhanded, and we've never had to do so either."

After a pause, he spoke again: "Let me say something a little unpleasant. A mere concubine could be dealt with on a whim. Even if she was pregnant, it's not difficult to keep the child while getting rid of the mother. A mere ant that can be pinched to death. Why go through the effort of drugging the ant? Of course, this is just my personal opinion."