Chapter 40

Back then, Emperor Xi feared the unification of the military would usurp his power, and divided military authority between the Five Armies Marshal Estate and the Ministry of War.

The Five Armies Marshall Estate had the authority to order the troops but not relocate the armies. The Ministry of War had the authority to relocate soldiers but not give them orders. The two departments were strictly separated, and only obeyed the emperor.

Officials naturally had to understand their superior's intentions. The emperor feared the centralization of power, and also feared the two departments colluding with each other. For the sake of his peace of mind, they had to keep their distance. Theoretically speaking, the Zhenguo Duke shouldn't have any interactions with the Ministry of War's high official. On the surface, they truly didn't get along. However, this didn't prevent them from having a personal connection.

That year, while the previous emperor still ruled and the Zhenguo Duke was responsible for the army, the current Ministry of War's high official Miao Jie was a new official under him. Afterwards, Miao Jie rose through the ranks one step at a time, but had never forgotten their initial relationship. Therefore, although they didn't get along on the surface and would often argue wildly in court, they had a private undeclared camaraderie.

For the sake of dealing with Yan Ting, the Zhenguo Duke borrowed the high official's hand.

After court on this day, the two were the palace via the palace roads.

They maintained a distance of ten feet, but it didn't prevent them from speaking.

"Your son-in-law has returned?" The high official's hair and beard were completely white, his body shriveled. He looked completely like an old man. He wore a purple court dress with a red-crowned crane embroidered patch on his chest. He held a jade cane in one hand and kept his gaze forward as he spoke.
The Zhenguo Duke also wore a purple robe, with a qilin embroidered on his chest. He grunted faintly in affirmation and didn't speak.

The Ministry of War's high official was very curious, and couldn't resist leaning over a little. "Aren't you afraid of your daughter finding out about you screwing him over?"

The Zhenguo Duke glared fiercely and didn't speak.
"Fine, fine, fine. I know you've always been overbearing. But I'm really curious why you're dealing with your own son-in-law. You've even screwed him over so much!"

"None of your business! Stop having so many idle thoughts!"

The high official was a little aggrieved. Relocating Yan Ting to the border was arranged by him. Relocating him back was also arranged by him. How did it suddenly become his idle thoughts?
This damn old man still has the same terrible temper after so many decades!

He himself also had a quick temper. He glared and said: "Don't come looking for me in the future if you need help. Good deeds are never repaid!"

The Zhenguo Duke glared back, his beard twitching in anger. His thick brows were fierce and his posture extremely frightening. Anyone else would naturally be afraid, but the high official had argued with him for several decades. He naturally wasn't afraid.
The two glared at each other, trying to see whose eyes were bigger.

.......

Nearby, a group of military officials were whispering to one another.

"Look, look. The Zhenguo Duke is arguing with the high official again."

"It's not like it's their first time. Didn't they just have a go at each other in front of his majesty?"

"That's right. They've just finished arguing in front of him, and are still arguing after coming out. Do you think they will come to blows?"