Chapter 130

The cold wind blew against them, making Shen Yi Yao's cheeks hurt.

She was unable to raise her head due to the penetrating winds, and could only bury her face into Lady Hui's shoulders.

"Lady Hui, are we able to escape?"

Their pursuers chased after them persistently. Luckily Lady Hui was agile and she was also fast enough. Although it took a lot of effort, they were able to maintain their distance for now.

The masked men in black on horses could only shoot their arrows from far away to vent their anger. However, due to the distance and the heavy wind, it was hard for them to hit their target. Lady Hui's face wasn't flushed and she wasn't breathing hard as she sprinted. Her ears perked up and the whip in her hand seemed to have grown eyes as she flicked it behind her and knocked the arrows from the sky.

"Don't worry madam. I've set off a Cloudpiercing Arrow. Our reinforcements will soon arrive."

After Luo Huai Yuan created the Cloudpiercing Arrow, he had given the Zhenguo Duke a batch. Just in case, he had also given one to Lady Hui. Unexpectedly, it truly came in handy today.

However, Lady Hui wasn't telling the truth. This place was too far from the capital. Even if the Cloudpiercing Arrow was sent out, she was afraid no one would see it. The reason she released it was just to scare the enemies into thinking they had reinforcements, while also leaving behind a lifeline for Xue-shi and Cui Qiao.

As for their own lifeline, it would depend on her efforts.

Their pursuers were gaining on them. Even though Lady Hui's lightweight arts was extraordinary, her stamina was already wearing thin. Especially since she was carrying another person on her back.

As the distance grew shorter, the arrows that were shot over increased as well. Lady Hui had gone from occasionally waving her whip to doing so continuously. Occasionally, there were thuds that sounded out as the arrows buried themselves into the wooden board on Shen Yi Yao's back. The impacts interrupted Lady Hui's rhythm and caused her to stagger.

Shen Yi Yao who was on her back could feel all of this.

Lady Hui was burning with anxiety.

If she wasn't carrying someone, she would have long since escaped. Carrying someone was like wearing shackles, making her movements less agile and also making her worry whether Shen Yi Yao would get injured. After all, the wooden board only covered her head and back. The rest of her was exposed. Otherwise, Lady Hui wouldn't have to bother blocking the arrows.

She looked at the dense trees on the side of the road and her heart stirred.

She was outnumbered and they had horses. It seemed like relying on her efforts to escape wouldn't be possible. It was better to stall for time and see if she could wait for reinforcements. Hopefully some of the guards were able to escape and get help from the capital.

"Madam, keep yourself covered. Lady Hui has decided to go into the woods."

Shen Yi Yao quietly let out an "en" and shrunk herself lower.

After speaking, Lady Hui changed directions and dived into the dense forest.

The terrain within the trees was rugged, but that came with its benefits. It meant that the horses couldn't follow. Although Lady Hui had to slow down, their enemies had to do the same.

The pursuers saw Lady Hui enter the forest and abandoned their horses, pursuing on foot.

Over by the carriages, the masked men had divided their forces. The majority pursued Lady Hui while a small group remained behind to battle with the guards.