Chapter 45

On this day, another letter came from the outside. It was said to have come from young master Shen Qi, but Yan Yan saw the peculiarity the moment she received it.

How was this from big bro Qi? This was clearly from that little fatty Luo.

With the letter in her hand, she recalled the last one and couldn't help but want to laugh.

She ripped it open and took a look. This letter was a little more normal than the last one. Although it didn't lack a bit of wackiness, the tone was mostly formal.

It turned out that Luo Huai Yuan had arrived at the fourth prince estate. After settling in, he had started making the effort to investigate the surroundings and the people.

After all, he had to live there for seven or eight years before he came of age and was sent to his vassal state. This place would also be renovated afterwards into his own prince's estate, where he would stay as a vassal prince when he visited the capital.

Therefore, Luo Huai Yuan put in a lot of effort into the fourth prince estate.

The fourth prince estate was renovated from an old official's residence. This residence used to belong to a first-ranked high official of the court. That official broke the law and his possessions were confiscated. This residence was taken by Emperor Xi, who bestowed it to Luo Huai Yuan when he moved out.

The renovations were all done according to the level befitting a prince. It was constructed extremely extravagantly and luxuriously. Luo Huai Yuan had no doubts about it. Whether he was favored or not, he was the son of the current emperor after all. The son represented his father's dignity and the residence represented the son's dignity. Naturally, no one dared to take this matter lightly.

Since Luo Huai Yuan had set his heart on changing things, he naturally considered things carefully. Whether his residence was good or bad didn't really matter. The people were what mattered.

After a few rounds of investigation, Luo Huai Yuan had gotten an understanding of the servants that came along with the fourth prince estate.

There were around a hundred people in the estate. They were all palace maids and eunuchs from the palace. There were also around thirty imperial guards. These would always be allotted to a prince.
According to convention, when the prince left for his vassal state, he would bring a few people from the capital with him. If nothing unusual happened, those currently in the estate would all be going with him when he left. This meant that these people and their family's lives were all within Luo Huai Yuan's grasp. There naturally wouldn't be any difficulties in subduing them.

Of course, this didn't mean there weren't spies among these people. This was without a doubt the case. It would be unusual if there weren't any. However, it also wasn't too big of a problem. He just needed to filter them out carefully. He didn't need too many trusted aids. A few were enough.

Since he had to keep up his unobtrusive manner, Luo Huai Yuan rarely left the courtyard he lived in. The moment he managed to win over two usable people, he anxiously wanted to send Yan Yan a letter.

He still remembered that after sending Yan Yan a letter last time, the little consort didn't write him one in return. However, he figured that the little consort hadn't gotten into the habit yet of returning a letter whenever she received one.

But no matter. He will help her develop this good habit. His current situation wasn't stable enough yet, so having the little consort come over could only be brought up in the future. Before then, their interactions could only be via letter.

He considered for a moment before waving his mighty brush. He sealed the envelope and handed it to Xiao An Zi for delivery to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate.