Chapter 29

The old madam sent everyone out. Yan Qian and Yan Hong were taken out by the maids and grannies as well. Only Concubine Pei was left.

Only now did Concubine Pei sit in Shen Yi Yao's seat and say quietly: "Did the madam's nature change? In the past she would never accept the third miss's inappropriate behavior."

The old madam frowned. She lifted her ceramic teacup and stirred the amber colored tea inside. "She was probably scolded by the Zhenguo Duke that time when things got out of hand. She seemed to be preoccupied ever since she returned."

"Then no one can keep that little demon in check anymore?"

"Let's wait and see. Today Xue-shi that fool truly made it too obvious. That little thing also put it so bluntly. No matter how foolish Shen Yi Yao is, she would still have some thoughts about it."

Concubine Pei let out an "en" and no longer spoke.
On the other side, Xue-shi cursed as she walked. She cursed Yan Ling for being shallow and insensible, venting all her embarrassment and resentment on her.

The Rongan Hall was in the center of the Weiyuan Marquis Estate. The second branch was on the eastern side, the third branch in the north and the eldest branch in the west.

After they reached the Yusheng Pavilion where they lived, Yan Ru who had been holding it in this entire time burst into her room and started crying heavily. Xue-shi glared harshly at Yan Ling and Concubine Wang before going to comfort her daughter.
Seeing this, Concubine Wang hurriedly pulled Yan Ling along and carefully entered their auxiliary residence.

After entering, Concubine Wang barred the doors and lifted Yan Ling's sleeves for a look. She saw her fair and tender skin was full of bruises and started sobbing.

"It's all your mother concubine's fault for being unable to protect you and letting you suffer so much. Ling'er, listen to your mother concubine. Don't do this anymore in the future. They always make you the scapegoat and you end up pleasing neither side."

Compared to Concubine Wang, Yan Ling was much more stable. The normally cute and innocent face was cold, without any hint of a smile. "Is this something I have a say over? Don't forget we depend on them for our meals."

"But why do things turn out this way...." Concubine Wang had always been timid. In this situation, the only thing she could do was cry, and cry some more.

"Enough, don't cry anymore. Get some medicine and help me apply it."

Concubine Wang wiped her tears and went to grab the medicine. Only then did Yan Ling's furrowed brows relax.

Actually she also wanted to cry, but would that fix anything?

As the concubine borne daughter under Xue-shi's management, she could only flatter the principal mother and sister and hope for a few better days. Hopefully she could marry well in the future and leave this household behind completely.

As for now, her tears were useless.
Who was the scapegoat? Xue-shi abused her and her mom daily, but wasn't she herself just the scapegoat for others?

Yan Ling smiled coldly.

Despite being humiliated by Yan Yan today, she felt very satisfied in her heart. Even her bruised arms no longer hurt.

Since she was just the scapegoat, she didn't feel like she was losing face as an unfavored concubine's daughter. She was young after all. Others would only say Xue-shi's concubine daughter was an embarrassment. They definitely wouldn't say anything about Yan Ling.

Only that fool Xue-shi, and that pretentious Yan Ru, would treat everyone else as fools. Using her as a cover up only made them look worse.

Seeing Yan Ru's thoroughly humiliated appearance and Xue-shi's embarrassed look was truly satisfying! If the situation had permitted it, Yan Ling truly wanted to cheer Yan Yan on.