Chapter 81

After giving Luo Huai Yuan a beating last time, Yan Yan didn't show it on the surface but she actually felt a little guilty inside.

After returning to the Guiyan Chambers, she felt guiltier the more she thought about it. She thus had Mei Xiang bring over the package Xiao An Zi brought over.

"This was made by a nana in the palace. Apparently the concubines in the palace all use these things. The palace maids in the palace are too much, to actually offer up such a thing to obtain rewards!"

Ah Yan didn't seem to realize that downplaying the matter only made it worse. Luckily the words "in the palace" and "the concubines" represented a majestic status in the hearts of Mei Xiang and the group of little lasses. Therefore, their eyes were all fixed on the package and didn't notice Yan Yan's slightly awkward expression.

Actually, she didn't want to do this. She wanted to get rid of the evidence but felt like she'd be letting the little fatty's kind intentions down. Especially since she had beaten him up. But if she didn't get rid of it, she couldn't hide something like this from her personal maids. She might as well be true to herself and take it out openly.

"Mei Xiang, take a look. Do you think this thing is really useful?"

Mei Xiang was the best at needlework out of the group. She naturally was better qualified to judge.

Mei Xiang opened the little pacakage. There were only four or five things inside. There were two pieces of triangular shaped objects which were exquisitely made. There were even some cloud patterns embroidered on it. One was bright red and the other was blue. They were both embroidered with pale blue cloud patterns. There were another two irregularly shaped pads. They were soft and seemed to be padded with cotton.

Since they knew the intended purpose, they generally understood how it should be used. Me Xiang's eyes grew brighter the more she looked and encouraged Yan Yan: "Miss, how about giving it a try?"

Yan Yan gave her a glance and put on a front: "We don't know if it's good yet."

"This servant feels it looks pretty good. We'll only know after trying it."

The two went into the bathroom. Mei Xiang helped Yan Yan take off her skirt and carefully helped her put it on. Because Yan Yan didn't understand what it was used for and was also a little shy, she was in a fluster. Putting on a little pad was more tiring than an entire morning of training.

Once everything was in place, it fit very snugly. The panties also had a thin piece of string that could be tied up. It wasn't like those menstrual straps which were tied around the waist. Those straps were uncomfortable if tied too tightly but also cannot be too loose.

These private feminine matters weren't convenient to discuss. After Yan Yan got her period, Shen Yi Yao had personally come to explain in detail to her daughter. She then ordered the maids to make preparations. Such methods were usually passed from mother to daughter, and were all very traditional solutions.

A menstrual strap filled with clean plant ash on the inside. After it was used, the plant ash would be poured out and the strap would be washed and filled with new plant ash and reused.

Yan Yan had several menstrual straps which were all made by her personal maids. Yan Yan had paid attention to how it was made, but still felt it was very unbearable. First of all, even if the plant ash was specially burnt, it was still ash. Ash was black, and just looking at it made the shy Ah Yan feel uncomfortable. But everyone used it, from Shen Yi Yao all the way to the little lasses. At most the period strap would be more finely made, and the mistress's plant ash was specially burnt.

There was no need to mention how uncomfortable Yan Yan was when her period came for the first time. Not only was her body uncomfortable, her heart felt very embarrassed as well. But she could only accept it since she was a girl. When she was young she felt boys and girls were the same. She was actually more impressive than many boys her age. Only now did she realize that there were differences in their physiologies.