Chapter 11

Matron Zhao continuously cried out in her heart. Her luck was truly awful today, being ordered back and forth by people.

She hurried over to the Rongan Hall and reported the situation. As expected, the old madam had her ask the madam to go over, but wasn't going to show up herself. Matron Zhao had long expected this response, but without her mistress giving the order, she as the servant wouldn't dare make the decision. She thus went to ask Shen Yi Yao over.

Before long, Shen Yi Yao arrived.

"Second sis-in-law, why are you sitting in such a place? I was delayed earlier, please forgive me."

"You also know this place isn't fit for sitting? Then why did you lock Ah Yan in here?"

Shen Yi Yao was a little frozen. She looked at Second Madam Shen's angry expression as well as Yan Yan who was in her arms.

"I....."

This was the small worship hall?

Shen Yi Yao had never been to the small worship hall before. She merely heard that the Weiyuan Marquis Estate punished the household sons who had done wrong by locking them up in here.

She looked around in a panic. The walls were blackened and there were countless cobwebs in the corners. The sunlight shining into the room allowed her to clearly see the air was permeated with dust.....
Her face immediately turned pale and she finally understood why her sister-in-law was enraged, and also why Ah Yan never gave her a glance after she arrived.

"See for yourself what sort of place this is. Just what did Ah Yan do wrong? Why did you have to lock her up in such a place? Weren't you the one who gave birth to her? You couldn't have locked your own daughter up anywhere else, and had to choose such a derelict place?!"

Shen Yi Yao's eyes turned red as she looked in panic at her sister-in-law and then at her daughter, her lips twitching. "I, I....."

Seeing Shen Yi Yao's helpless appearance, Second Madam Shen's anger suddenly subsided quite a bit. She let out a sigh, "Little sis, what am I going to do with you?"

Shen Yi Yao was the Zhenguo Madam's daughter. When Second Madam Shen had married into the Shen household, Shen Yi Yao was only nine years old. Second Madam Shen could be said to have watched her grow up. Therefore, seeing Shen Yi Yao in such a state, Second Madam Shen understood that she truly didn't know, and a feeling of helplessness arose.

"Second sis-in-law, I didn't know it was like this..." She explained in panic. "Ah Yan, don't blame mom, ok? Mom really didn't know this place was like this...."

"What's the use of your servants then? Didn't they tell you what this place was like?" Speaking to this point, Second Madam Shen's sharp gaze swept over Fang Cao and Fang Cui, who had come with Shen Yi Yao.

Having managed the Zhenguo Duke Estate for so many years, she knew all the shenanigans servants got into! Sometimes the master would be unaware since there were many things in the estate, but how could the servants be unaware? If the master was unaware, it was only because the servants didn't want them to know about it.

The two of them fell to their knees with a thud. "Madam, us servants truly didn't know what this place was like....."

"Second sis-in-law, these two have served by my side for a long time. They definitely didn't know it was like this...."

"Then what have you been up to? Your daughter was locked up and you never came to take a look?"

Shen Yi Yao's face was completely red. "Ah Mo was sick, I....."

"Also, what about Ah Yan's personal maids and grannies? Didn't they come take a look to see how their own miss was doing?"

As expected of Second Madam Shen. Her words easily pointed out the key points of the matter. Mei Xiang and Mei Xue who had been waiting a long time by the side walked out and knelt on the spot.