Chapter 133

Xue-shi had been thinking about this ever since Yan Ting's death was confirmed.

Although it was a little heartless, humans were selfish creatures. She naturally had to consider what was best for her. Furthermore, Xue-shi wasn't just being selfish here. What was going to come would come. It was better to be prepared instead of being caught unaware.

The atmosphere immediately froze at her words.
The old madam let out a shout from the bed and then fainted once again.

The scene grew chaotic. Luckily the old madam had fainted several times in the past few days so the maids and Matron Zhao were all experienced. They pinched her central acupuncture point and forced down some medicine. Soon, the old madam slowly awoke.

Right after waking, she let out a hysterical cry. The sound was extremely ugly, as though her neck was being squeezed by someone. She thrashed around on the bed. Matron Zhao stepped up and held her down while crying: "Eldest madam, something bad has just happened to the lord marquis. How can the old madam withstand so many things at once? It's better if you said less."

Xue-shi angrily closed her mouth.

Chen-shi muttered quietly: "Eldest sis-in-law is really good at alarmist talk. Second brother-in-law has just passed away. How can those above kick us out so soon!? Especially since second sis-in-law is still here. As long as her maternal family puts in some effort, perhaps our nobility can be extended another generation. It'll be passed on to Ah Mo after all."

The third lord scolded: "Quiet!" He then cupped his hands at Shen Yi Yao: "We will have to trouble sister-in-law on this matter. Such a large household is currently backed into a corner. The heavens are collapsing so how can we worry about having to move!?" As he spoke, this man started wiping his tears with his sleeve, making it hard for others to look at him.

This third lord Yan Qu had grown up under his parents and his siblings' wings. Although it wasn't normally obvious, his character could be seen at times like this.

Ever since Yan Ting had gone missing, Yan Qu was panicked. Once they received word of his death, Yan Qu almost became bedridden like the old madam. He wasn't young anymore but didn't have any opinions of his own. Therefore, many matters needed to be handled by Yan Zhi. Yan Zhi wouldn't be so exhausted otherwise.

Shen Yi Yao was extremely speechless. The mother wanted her to find the culprit and the son wanted her to extend their nobility by a generation.

Although he said it was to save the household from suffering, the truth was that he merely wanted to remain under the Weiyuan Marquis Estate's roof and hold an idle posting

Yan Ting had worked for almost two decades, and spent a lot of effort but with nothing to show for it. Why would it be that easy for Shen Yi Yao? Perhaps she truly could have her dad obtain some pity for his newly widowed daughter from his majesty, and perhaps have their nobility extended by another generation. After all, they had no authority, and merely received a salary.

But why would she do something like that?

A wave of annoyance and disgust suddenly permeated her heart. Shen Yi Yao no longer wanted to stay here. She turned around and left.

Xue-shi wasn't able to hold it in any longer. She smiled mockingly and followed behind.

Yan Qu was still a little confused. He didn't understand what he had said to offend his sister-in-law. Yan Zhi was extremely helpless. Unfortunately, his wife could run but he could not. He still had to keep an eye on the old madam's condition. He had to at least play his part on the surface.

Seeing Shen Yi Yao not give them any face, the old madam once again thrashed about before finally calming down. She had Matron Zhao call Yan Zhi over to the bed.