Chapter 106

When people got married, there would be "six rites" to observe: the matchmaking, the inquiry of name and birthdate, the small gift of fortune, the completion via betrothal gift, choosing the auspicious day and finally the wedding itself.

Actually, these six rites really just involved three practical stages: discussing marriage, settling the marriage and then the wedding.

Discussing marriage involved choosing the partner, and was equivalent to the matchmaking and inquiry of name and birthdate. Settling the marriage involved establishing the wedding agreement between man and woman, and involved a minor gift and a betrothal gift. The wedding involved choosing an auspicious date and then going through the ceremony.

Since Yan Yan and the fourth prince's marriage was ordained by Emperor Xi, they had no need to go through the matchmaking and name inquiry process. The edict was proclaimed while they were still at Mt. Meng. After returning to the capital, the imperial astronomer calculated the auspicious date long in advance. They merely waited for an auspicious time to have the internal affairs department and the Ministry of Rites go to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate to settle the matter.

Therefore, a few days after Yan Yan's coming of age ceremony, the Ministry of Rites' carriage brought over the consort's robes, various jewelry, gold and silver, various silk and a few other pieces of the betrothal gift to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate.

Only now did Luo Huai Yuan finally relax.

He was familiar with the inefficiency of the internal affairs department. Those people always made things difficult for others. As long as those above didn't give the order, they would drag things out. This was why he had lingered in the palace after returning from Mt. Meng instead of going back to his fourth prince estate.

Since the crown prince's side had benefitted from their actions, empress had to take care of him for the sake of appearances. To settle his and the little consort's marriage as soon as possible, he struck while the iron was hot and played the fool in front of the empress and the crown prince. He also "mustered up his courage" and asked to see the emperor regarding the matter of his marriage.

The people in the palace all assumed this was the first awakening of love. After being given a beautiful consort, he must have gotten obsessed with her. They mocked him secretly. Luo Huai Yuan pretended not to see this as he continuously made his presence known. This was the only reason the imperial astronomer, the internal affairs department and the Ministry of Rites moved so quickly.

The second prince's wedding hadn't even been put on the schedule yet, though that might be because he wasn't in a rush. All Luo Huai Yuan knew was that he himself was in a huge rush.

Once the date was set, Luo Huai Yuan had a foolish smile as he went to thank the Empress, and then went to kowtow to the emperor. Then, he happily left the palace and returned to his fourth prince estate.

The crown prince laughed and scolded him in front of Empress Xiao, "This old fourth is really a profiteer. What a foolish appearance. A mere woman is enough to keep him satisfied."

Empress Xiao had a dignified smile. "Isn't this good? We won't have to worry about this sort of person."
"That's also true!" As he spoke, the crown prince then recalled the people they did have to worry about.

Princes had standards for their engagement and marriage. Apart from the crown prince who was a level higher, the rest of the princes were all the same. Since Emperor Xi had always emphasized dignity and the fourth prince only had his woman in his eyes, the betrothal gift hadn't been cut down at all. The internal affairs department didn't even swap in inferior goods like they usually did.

It was clear that Luo Huai Yuan making his presence known around the palace had been effective. His "first awakening of love" had left a deep impression on everyone.