Chapter 118 - Part 2

The two were younger than Mei Xue by over two years. They weren't ready to marry yet, and both shook their heads, wanting to continue serving the miss.

"Alright, you guys aren't outsiders. I won't keep anything from you. You don't have to worry if you become maids as part of my dowry. Although I will have maids in my dowry, they won't be used for that sort of purpose. You should also tell those little lasses under you that my dowry maids won't be elevated to chambermaids or concubines and what not. If they wish to follow along, they won't be mistreated if they serve properly. If they have other thoughts, they should put them to rest early on."

It seems Yan Yan was still aware in her heart.
"Yes, miss."

After she spoke, whether any of them had other thoughts, they were all put to rest.

~~~~~~

Concubine Cui was now a respected person at the third branch. Everyone was aware of this.

Not only was she respected at the third branch, she was also extremely respected at the Rongan Hall. Even though the old madam couldn't get out of bed, she still instructed Matron Zhao to send Concubine Cui nourishing soup every now and then. She was hoping for her to give birth to a chubby grandson.

Concubine Cui was six months pregnant and her stomach was bulging. She became clumsier and clumsier and her entire shape had changed.

Yet the third lord was happy and the old madam was happy.

Why? Because there were signs that Conucbine Cui was carrying a boy.

Concubine Cui ate a lot of sour foods recently, which corresponded to the saying "sour for boys and spicy for girls".

Chen-shi was also all smiles during the day, but this made Concubine Cui nervous. Not only was Chen-shi pampering her, she seemed to wish that she could carry this pregnancy for her.

However, Concubine Cui started looking worse. In the past she would look smug or happy, but now it was rare to see her smile.

This was due to Chen-shi's drastic change in attitude, as well as some of the things said by her maids, grannies and even her old parents.

Concubine Cui was born into the Weiyuan Marquis Estate. Her entire maternal family worked there. Her dad was Steward Tian from the front court and her mom was a managing granny in the rear residence. Her older brother worked in one of the estate's offices and her younger brother was an errand boy in the stables. She was a proper estate-born servant.

The entire Tian family was happy about Concubine Cui being able to serve the third lord. Everyone knew that the third madam hadn't been able to bear any fruit. If Concubine Cui could give birth to the third lord's only son, her status would obviously be high.

Concubine Cui had truly ended up getting pregnant and the Tian family was ecstatic. They were all servants so they naturally understood the undercurrents of the rear residence. Using the complicated relationships in the estate, the grannies and maids by Concubine Cui's side were all their own people.

Therefore, servants shouldn't be underestimated at times. A family that could operate within the estate for several generations had more influence than expected. For example, the third lord being angry at Chen-shi previously also had a little to do with these people. However, Chen-shi also wasn't simple. Her efforts recently had gradually pulled the third lord back on her side.

While Concubine Cui's stomach grew larger, Chen-shi and the third lord's relationship returned to what it used to be. The two would often visit Concubine Cui together. Chen-shi acted virtuous and magnanimous in front of the third lord. She would often stroke Concubine Cui's stomach and say to the third lord that she would have no more worries if it turned out to be boy. She said she was willing to lose ten years of her lifespan in exchange.