Chapter 82

Hearing the servant's report, the old madam was a little bewildered.

Concubine Lan was punished in the courtyard in front of everyone. Many servants had seen it so the news was spread over very quickly. The old madam didn't feel that Shen Yi Yao was someone who would do such a thing. That person had always been soft. She therefore put the blame on that little thing causing mischief, and assumed the servants had misspoke when they said Shen Yi Yao was responsible.

If her son hadn't asked her to do so beforehand this time, the old madam hadn't been planning on showing a pleasant expression to Shen Yi Yao. Despite this, she still didn't feel like she should show that woman a pleasant expression.

She was even a little smug. Don't come back if you're so capable. Having hung her out to dry for three years, it seems she figured out how to lower her head and behave. Women weren't worth anything after getting married. They could only suffer their husband's households.

Things weren't like before anymore. The old madam felt Yan Ting had some prospects and he had also gotten connected with Senior Concubine Xu's side. In comparison, the Zhenguo Duke's side was weak as a chicken. If Yan Ting hadn't told her of his plans, she would have long since made a fuss about getting rid of Shen Yi Yao. How could she still show her a pleasant expression?

Xue-shi and Chen-shi were similarly unsettled, though their thoughts weren't as complicated as the old madam's.

A little lass came in to report the madam's arrival along with the third miss and fourth young master to pay respects to the old madam.

The old madam seemed not to have heard, and continued chatting with Xue-shi and Chen-shi a little longer. She asked about the misses of the two branches. In the past, she had never cared about these things.

A ruckus suddenly sounded from the door. Soon, a little lass stumbled over, her cheek swollen as she came in to report the arrival of the madam and her children.

That lass looked like she wanted to cry but didn't dare to do so. Everyone knew without thinking that this was the tyrannical third miss's doing. But it wasn't convenient for anyone to say anything. The old madam deliberately left Shen Yi Yao hanging, and if it was just her she might have succeeded. But she shouldn't forget there was still the third miss who never suffered a grievance. Wasn't this just screwing over the servants?

Going against the old madam right after returning. This third miss was really something!

The old madam gave Matron Zhao a glance. Matron Zhao spoke up and asked: "Xiao Zhu, what happened to your face?"

That lass called Xiao Zhu trembled and mumbled: "The third miss said this servant wasn't diligent and delayed in announcing their arrival."

Actually there was no need to ask. This was undoubtedly the case.

Xue-shi snuck a glance at the old madam and secretly spat: didn't she have anything better to do?

Was she really this bored?

In the hallway, Shen Yi Yao quietly scolded Yan Yan: "Ah Yan, why did you hit her?"

Yan Yan didn't lower her voice at all. "Didn't you see her trying to put us down?"

"Mom knows, but you still shouldn't hit people. As someone about to discuss marriage, it's important to be more careful in the future."

Yan Mo interrupted on the side, "Mom, don't scold sis. In my opinion, it was a good slap. If we allow them to step over us this time, our days in the estate will be difficult in the future. I feel sis was very correct."

For little Ah Mo, his biggest idol was his sis. He was just short of being willing to keep watch for her while she committed murder and arson.

"But she is your grandmother after all. Others will gossip if you don't respect your elders."