Chapter 25

Yan Yan had brought a total of twelve people with her, and they were all carefully selected by Second Madam Shen.

There were two grannies, one surnamed Dong and one surnamed Zou. They were both astute and steady. The eight maids were also the calm and steady types. There were two who were in charge of the others. One was called Yi Yun and the other called Yi Meng.

Yi Yun and Yi Meng were promoted by a rank, and personally served Yan Yan along with Mei Xiang and Mei Xue. Matron Zou was the managing granny and was in charge of managing the courtyard and various other matters. Yan Yan then chose four of the junior maids. She planned on sending the remaining four maids and Matron Dong over to serve Ah Mo.

Yan Yan had asked for these people because she clearly knew having two people by her side wasn't enough. She planned on shedding all pretenses this time and was prepared to fight a long battle. She understood that there cannot be internal strife if she were to resist external assault.

Once things were arranged, Matron Zou started busying herself. Everyone's roles needed to be arranged, and the selected few maids and grannies from earlier who weren't expelled also needed to be reorganized.

Yan Yan didn't expel those other people without consideration. Those were all people who had someone backing them. The ones who remained were all those who did their duties. They had been bullied and shunned by those who abused their power, and were a little cautious as of now. But they saw the Zhenguo Duke Estate's people had excellent etiquette and were all very friendly, and thus let out a breath of relief.

Yan Yan ordered Mei Xiang and the rest to sort out the two large carriages of things she brought back. She picked out a few that were clearly for Ah Mo and took them over to the Jinse Pavilion.

Ah Mo lived in one of the small lateral courtyards of the Jinse Pavilion. It had a row of three houses as well as porches in the front and back. This was sufficient for Ah Mo and those serving him to live in. It was also closer to the Jinse Pavilion's main residence, making it convenient for Shen Yi Yao to see her son.

When Yan Yan arrived, Yan Mo was drinking medicine.

The tiny person was sitting on the rosewood bed brocaded with flowing cloud patterns. It was daytime during the summer, but he was still covered in a layer of thin blankets and seemed especially frail.

Yan Mo had a pair of large eyes and long eyelashes. He had a high nose-bridge and his skin was so fair it seemed almost translucent. His dark veins were clearly visible. If it weren't for his sickly appearance and his frail physique compared to the other children his age, Yan Mo was quite a cute and elegant looking boy.

Seeing Yan Yan arrive, not only did Yan'er, Ying'er and Matron Qin look happy, even Yan Mo's expression lit up.

"Big sis---"

Yan Yan sat on the side of the bed, "Ah Mo, are you a little better? Why are you still taking medicine? Isn't your fever already gone?" The last part was directed at Matron Qin.

"This medicine is to nourish fourth young master's body. Doctor Tian said the young master lost a lot of vital energy after falling into the water and needs to be properly nourished."

Yan Yan frowned and felt Yan Mo's little hand. The house was warm during the summer, and Yan Mo wore a jacket under his blankets. However, his hands were still cold.

"This medicine doesn't seem to be of any use despite taking it daily." She muttered to herself and said: "I'll have someone send a letter to grandfather tomorrow, and have him help send an imperial physician over for a look."

Yan Mo smiled faintly and nodded.

Yan Mo was an extremely obedient child. Normally children would cry and make a fuss if they had to drink such bitter medicine every day. His health had been poor since birth, and he ate more medicine than food, but he never made a fuss. The servants served him without worries but Yan Yan's heart ached.