Chapter 83

After leaving the Jinse Pavilion, Yan Ru was sulky and didn't speak. Xue-shi was still aware of her daughter's personality and gave her a glare, resisting the urge to scold her. Only after getting back to the Yusheng Pavilion did Xue-shi start her scolding.

"Your second aunt has an honest personality. Don't be upset because you didn't like what she was saying. What household depends on poetry and couplets? What major household picks their daughter-in-law based on her artistic abilities? I told you back then not to learn these things, but you insisted, and even became obsessed. Your second aunt was a famous talent in the past, but do you see her showing off her literary skills? She embodies the phrase, how do you say it...."

Seeing her mom struggling to come up with the phrase, Yan Ru resentfully finished her sentence, "the well-educated are naturally elegant."

"Right, that's it."

"You also know that being well-educated makes one elegant? Didn't your daughter want to learn these things because I wanted to be more like second aunt?" Yan Ru argued with a red face.

This was truly the case. If Yan Ru worshipped anyone, it would be her second aunt Shen Yi Yao. From a young age, she always felt her second aunt was different from others. Her words were gentle and her bearing was generous and dignified. She handled things in a collected way and had an aura of knowing how to do anything. She wasn't like her mom, who always seemed to be fawning whenever she spoke. She also wasn't like her third aunt, who looked timid and petty.

But early on, Xue-shi had cautioned Yan Ru not to get close to Shen Yi Yao. At that time, Shen Yi Yao was also worried about her frail son and rarely went out. Without anyone to teach her, Yan Ru could only fumble about by herself. This was why Yan Hong mocked her for "trying to act elegant everyday".

Seeing her daughter tearing up, Xue-shi held her and comforted: "Mom doesn't mean you shouldn't learn these things, but your second aunt is also very correct. You cannot ignore the other two subjects. When major households choose their daughter-in-laws, they are looking for that air of collected dignity and generosity, and being able to handle any occasion competently. Luckily mom is in charge of managing the household at the moment. You can start learning from mom tomorrow. Although your grandmother has the finances pinched tight, we can at least learn the theory behind it. This way, your days won't be bad after marriage."

"Then what about etiquette?"

Seeing her daughter sobbingly ask about this, Xue-shi knew she had thought things through: "Since your second aunt has spoken, she definitely has a way. No need to worry."

Yan Ru pouted, "Since you make second aunt sound so good, why wouldn't you let me go to the Jinse Pavilion in the past? You only make me go during "those" times."

Mentioning their actions from before, Yan Ru felt shame creep up from her heart. Now that she matured, she started becoming more sensible. Gradually, she also started to understand that their actions weren't good.

Xue-shi flushed and weakly swatted her daughter's back. "Are you trying to embarrass your mom? What did your old mom do it for? Wasn't it for our family's peace of mind? Your grandmother has something against your second aunt, so we can only keep our distance."

Thinking of this, she herself was also aggrieved and couldn't help but shed tears. "Do you think life under a mother-in-law is easy after marrying a concubine born son? Everything depends on their mood! Isn't mom just doing all this so you can marry a little better, and not have to suffer like your mom? Every parent cherishes their daughter, but marriage isn't like that. Your second aunt was also extremely well off prior to marriage, but what happened after she came here? Would the third miss be so ruthless at such a young age if their lives were easy? She's only that way because she was forced to be!"