Chapter 164

Imperial Physician Zhou was a major sixth-rank official in the imperial medical center. His skills were extraordinary and he was deeply trusted by Emperor Xi.

In terms of ability there was nothing to criticize about him, but as a person, he was a little unreasonable.

He was extremely inflexible and old-fashioned. He was also taciturn and didn't like interacting with others. He always came and went by himself. This sort of situation made him become Emperor Xi's most trusted physician. Perhaps the emperor admired this aspect of his, but who really knows?

Ever since Emperor Xi fainted in court, things appeared normal on the surface. However, due to some little clues, Imperial Physician Zhou, who was caught in the middle of everything, didn't get a moment of peace. There were all sorts of people coming up with excuses, trying to get information on Emperor Xi's health. But how could Imperial Physician Zhou possibly reveal anything unless he was tired of living?

Imperial Physician Zhou became even more stern and forbidding in appearance. His oblong face was etched with deep lines and had a yellowish hue. His tightly pursed lips and furrowed white brows marked him as someone who kept everyone at a distance.

A low-ranked medicine boy walked in. No imperial physician would be lacking characters like this to run errands. He placed a food container onto the desk. He had clearly come to bring Imperial Physician Zhou lunch.

The imperial medical center had imperial physicians on duty every day. They could only leave when their shift was over. Their daily necessities were taken care of by the palace. Today, Imperial Physician Zhou was on duty and he would only get off around dinner time.

That medicine boy brought out the food from the container and Imperial Physician Zhou didn't pay too much attention. However, his gaze froze at an unobtrusive gesture.

"Superior Yang asked this lowly one to pass on a message. The crown prince's side will make a move tonight. Imperial Physician Zhou mustn't forget about the matter Superior Yang mentioned to you previously."

His voice was as quiet as a mosquito's buzz, but it clearly drilled into Imperial Physician Zhou's ears.
His body turned rigid and his expression became somewhat complicated.

That person continued: "This lowly one will be responsible for serving Imperial Physician Zhou in the palace from now on. In the future, this lowly one will also be personally responsible for the meals."

Imperial Physician Zhou's expression became even uglier. Not waiting for his reaction, the medicine boy continued: "Your meal had been tampered with today. It was this lowly one who switched it out. This is all in consideration of your safety!"

Imperial Physician Zhou's body trembled. He leaned against his chair and didn't make a sound for a long, long time.

The medicine boy left with the food container. Imperial Physician Zhou looked at the food on the table but had no appetite at all.

First there had been inquiries, and then demands. Now, there were even some shameful methods popping out.

How much longer could he persist? Imperial Physician Zhou truly didn't know. However, he had to do so for the sake of his family. Thinking of the medicine boy's words, Imperial Physician Zhou's expression changed erratically. Would the crown prince's side really do that? Just where did they get the confidence? Unless they had a mole over there with quite a significant status.

Thinking of the things that had happened in the past few days, Imperial Physician Zhou's emotions at being threatened gradually dulled. None of them were good people, and he had long since lost any control he had over his life...