Chapter 144

In the blink of an eye it was New Year's again.

Luo Huai Yuan and Yan Yan had already arrived at the vassal state by this time a year ago and the two had spent a rather lonely New Year's. This year, the Yun Prince Estate had just been completed and they naturally couldn't spend it the same way. On the first New Year's, the Yun Prince would entertain the vassal state's officials at his estate and lead them in offering tribute to the heavens, officially establishing the vassal state.

Compared to the Yun Prince who had settled quietly for a while, the Jin Prince and the Qi Prince were much more outstanding. Last year Emperor Xi had summoned both of them back to the capital for the New Year's and he already sent out the edict for this year's summons as well. They were extremely favored and in the limelight. There essentially wasn't anyone who could object.

Along with the clearly not favored Yun Prince, there was another person who was favored even less by Emperor Xi. That was the fifth prince Luo Jing who had just been conferred as the Jing Prince.

The fifth prince Luo Jing was mute from birth and was also a block of wood. If the Yun Prince was said to be not favored, the Jing Prince was said to be hated. This was because the fifth prince's existence reminded Emperor Xi of his shortcomings and inability.

Luckily, many people were aware of the Venerated Concubine's insanity back then. They all assumed it was due to the Venerated Concubine duping the monarch that resulted in the fifth prince being this way. Otherwise, an innately handicapped prince being born into the royal family would be seen as an inauspicious omen. To exaggerate a little, there was even the possibility of impeaching Emperor Xi.

Therefore, the fifth prince Luo Jing rarely appeared in front of others. Emperor Xi also remained indifferent to him. It was to the extent that due to the Minstry of Rites asking a single question, Emperor Xi had the fifth prince who just came of age leave for his vassal state.

This gave everyone the feeling he was kicking him out of the capital.

Of course, the invisible little fifth prince had never appeared in their eyes. No one felt any derision or sympathy. It was like watching an insignificant person leaving somewhere he didn't belong.

When Luo Huai Yuan left the capital, he lamented how his procession couldn't be compared to the Jin Prince and Qi Prince's splendor and was mocked by Yan Yan for being vain. The Jing Prince's procession was even more lacking. The guards, palace maids and even the carriages seemed to have been hurriedly thrown together. They were scattered and strung out into a long line, but a closer look showed that everyone was rather listless.

After all, having to travel to the bitterly cold Jing Province in such weather would make anyone look as if their father had died. Even though the people going with the Jing Prince weren't favored to begin with, the capital still had more opportunities to advance. Going to the Jing Province truly meant being exiled.

The procession had two extremely luxurious carriages that clearly weren't for someone ordinary.
Within one of them sat the Jing Consort Xiao-shi. At this moment, her face was filled with resentment and she complained with all her might to the palace maid by her side.

She first complained that Emperor Xi was too heartless, kicking his son and daughter-in-law out of the capital during such a time. She then complained about Empress Xiao. Despite being her aunt from the same clan, why couldn't she take some responsibility? Leaving the capital in such a hurry lost the Xiao clan a lot of face. She complained most about her own husband, the Jing Prince. She complained that he was incapable and also a mute, forcing her to suffer along with him.

The palace maid didn't dare stop her, knowing the Jing Consort's personality. If anyone disagreed, she would argue without end. Might as well let her vent a little and leave it at that. Luckily the people on the carriage were all her trusted aides. If the Jing Prince or his people found out....