Chapter 9

Of course, the cause of this matter started with Yan Yan.

That day, Yan Yan heard that granny say her own mom ordered her to be confined for half a month. Although she was extremely resentful and disappointed, she still felt a sliver of hope. Perhaps that granny was lying to her. But having been locked up continuously for a few days without anyone asking about her and with only that granny bringing a jar of water and two buns each day, Yan Yan finally realized the truth.

Her sullenness and pain naturally doesn't need to be mentioned. Without anywhere to sit or sleep, spending every night in darkness, along with poor food, poor clothing and her body smelling poorly, this was essentially a form of capital punishment for Yan Yan who had been raised as a princess.

Luckily she had always been tough, her personality as fierce as fire. Furthermore, she was propped up by the sullen and indignant feelings in her heart, and did not fall into depression.

Night fell once again.

Having spent several days in the dark, Yan Yan had gotten used to it. Although there was still some fear, it was no longer as intense.

Suddenly, a light knocking sounded on the door, following which Yan Yan heard Lady Hui softly calling.

"Third miss, third miss...."

"Aunt Hui, is it you?"

"Third miss, it's me. Mei Xiang and Mei Xue said you've been locked up. I truly couldn't feel at ease these past two days, and came to see you in the middle of the night. Are you well?"

As Lady Hui spoke, her tone started trembling.
Even as an outsider she couldn't endure any longer. How could the madam bear to do so, and how could she be so foolish!?

Yan Yan sat against the door and said quietly: "I'm perfectly fine. Go back and tell them not to worry."
There was a long silence outside.

After a while, Lady Hui's quiet voice sounded out: "Third miss, it's just the two of us here. No, no need to put on a brave front. I did some investigating these past two days. I know even grown men end up whining for days inside this small worship hall, let alone a young girl like you."

The tears involuntarily flowed down Yan Yan's face.
She felt like laughing and crying.

"In the past I've always believed that mom cherished me. Even though she likes to scold me, she still cherishes me in her heart. But why is it that this sort of faith in her is becoming more and more uncertain?"

These words were spoken in fragments, almost mumbled, but Lady Hui heard it clearly.
"Third miss, don't overthink things. Madam does cherish you." At this point, Lady Hui didn't know what else to say.

"Yes, she does cherish me. But she never believes my words, never believes the truth. She only believes those she thinks she can trust. I've always thought that one day mom would snap out of it. One day! But I've realized that's just a pipe dream...."

During these idle days Yan Yan had done a lot of pondering. Even if she put all the blame on the old madam and Concubine Pei's side, she still couldn't erase one fact: Shen Yi Yao had never believed this daughter of hers.

Every time she was scolded, Yan Yan would feel very regretful. She also wanted to be obedient and make her mom happy. But her nature had been this way since birth, and she also wasn't willing to turn a blind eye to things. Therefore, she would always make her mom unhappy. Every time she was scolded, she would feel miserable after feeling sullen, and tell herself that she'd just endure things next time. But she was never able to endure in the heat of the moment.....

This was a vicious cycle that couldn't be broken, and this time with Ah Mo falling into the water, things had gotten even more serious....

Yan Yan wiped away her tears and smiled: "Lady Hui, don't worry about me. I'm really fine. This is the finest I've ever been. From now on, I'll do whatever I want. I'll never try to obtain anyone's approval ever again!"