Chapter 10

Hearing Matron Zhao's summary, Concubine Pei couldn't help but furrow her brows.

The second miss Yan Qian interrupted: "Since she won't come out, let her stay in there, right? Why should we waste our energy in trying to get her out?"

Yan Qian was older than Yan Yan by a month. She was the second oldest in the estate, and was Concubine Pei's daughter. She had never seen eye to eye with Yan Yan, but had to treat Yan Yan with respect the way Concubine Pei treated Shen Yi Yao with respect. No need to ask why. This was how Concubine Pei had brought her up.

Yan Qian had never been fond of Yan Yan and went against her secretly countless times. But Yan Yan was birthed by the principal wife and had never been easy to pick on. Yan Qian naturally never had the upper hand. Yan Yan being locked up this time made Yan Qian smile even in her sleep.

"Get out of here. Why are you interrupting when adults are speaking?" Concubine Pei's usually pitiful and neat face showed a rare hint of sternness. She only showed such an expression towards her own two children.

Yan Qian pouted her mouth, squeezed her handkerchief and left.

"Lady Cousin, what do you think we should do?"
Concubine Pei thought carefully for a while before suddenly letting out a breath: "Looks like I have to take care of things for my aunt this time. Let me go discuss things with the madam."

Matron Zhao's eyes flashed and she didn't speak. She had some disdain towards Concubine Pei's pretentiousness. Taking care of things for the old madam? Wasn't this situation caused by you?
Although she cursed her silently, Matron Zhao still said smilingly: "Then we must thank Lady Cousin for your wisdom."

Concubine Pei went over to the Jinse Pavilion. At this time, the Jinse Pavilion had also received word of Second Madam Shen's arrival.

Shen Yi Yao tidied herself up and prepared to go meet her second sister-in-law. The one who reported the matter naturally didn't know what Second Madam Shen was here for, so Shen Yi Yao merely treated this as a friendly visit.

Seeing Concubine Pei at the door, she said she was going to the Rongan Hall. However, Concubine Pei had her wait and said she needed to speak with her. True to her character, Shen Yi Yao turned around and went back inside where the two of them sat down to talk.

Concubine Pei didn't beat around the bush and got to the point straight away. She said Second Madam Shen was here to bring the third miss to the Zhenguo Duke Estate, saying how her grandparents missed their granddaughter.

Shen Yi Yao was a little startled, her eyes turning a little red, though it wasn't noticeable.

"Since mom and dad miss Ah Yan, then let her make a trip."

Concubine Pei's expression was a little awkward as she said quietly: "Madam, don't forget. The third miss is still locked up in the small worship hall."

Hearing these words, Shen Yi Yao squeezed her handkerchief. Afterwards, she seemed to have thought of something and said: "Since this is rather sudden, let's just waive the rest of her punishment."
Shen Yi Yao's attitude was very natural and open. Apart from revealing some heartache and a look of relief, there wasn't anything else.

Concubine Pei had a hard time responding to these words. After some thought, she said: "The third miss isn't willing to come out."

"Why?"

"The third miss said that since madam ordered for her to be locked up for half a month, she naturally won't come out before time is up."

Shen Yi Yao's expressions was both distressed and gratified as she mumbled: "My Ah Yan is obedient after all. Her temper's just a little overbearing. She also knows she was in the wrong...."