Chapter 44

The truth of the matter told Yan Ting that whether one could bear it the question. The question was whether one was willing to bear it.

The servant who left to report quickly returned, bowing and saying: "The lord duke isn't willing to see the eldest miss."

Yan Ting's expression turned rigid.

Shen Yi Yao asked urgently: "Then what about my mom?"

"Madam, madam also isn't willing."

"You're speaking nonsense, you're lying to me!"

Shen Yi Yao couldn't quite accept this, her eyes turning red. "Dad and mom wouldn't be so ruthless. I am their daughter...."

That servant looked troubled, giving Yan Ting a glance before lowering her head.

"The lord duke and madam truly gave these instructions, eldest miss."

"Go ask again...." This time her voice was a sob.

"This....."

"Hurry and go!"

That servant hesitated and didn't move. Shen Yi Yao's face was covered with tears. Her hands gripped her sleeves helplessly as she looked nervously at Yan Ting. Seeing this, Yan Ting pulled her into his arms and lightly patted her in comfort.

Shen Yi Yao tightly grabbed onto Yan Ting's collar, looking extremely ruffled: "Husband, dad and mom are still angry at me...what should I do? Just what should I do?"

After a long while, Yan Ting let out a sigh: "How about we go back first. Father and mother-in-law won't really stay angry at you."

"Really?" Shen Yi Yao seemed as if she grasped onto a lifeline.

Yan Ting's eyes were obscure as he nodded, "This time their anger hasn't faded yet. Let's go back first and return after a couple of days."

It wasn't clear who he was trying to convince.

He attentively wiped away Shen Yi Yao's tears and tidied up her appearance before supporting her outside. Shen Yi Yao was disturbed and preoccupied.
On the way back, Yan Ting chose not to ride the horse and sat in the carriage comforting Shen Yi Yao continuously instead.

He heard from Shen Yi Yao what happened when she went to mediate at her family's place.

Yan Ting knew Shen Yi Yao wasn't a smart person, but to think she hadn't been bothered by such a big conflict that day, and thought nothing was wrong? Was she so certain that the Zhenguo Duke who had always cherished her was merely angry for a short while?

The truth had slapped her in the face, and Yan Ting wanted to add his own slap as well! If he had known about this earlier, he could have still rectified things in advance. But as of now....

"That day dad scolded me for being muddled, saying I wasn't able to distinguish right and wrong, and that I'm not worthy to be his daughter....." Shen Yi Yao mumbled, her tears continuing to flow.

Having been pampered from birth, she was already used to being cherished by her parents. Her biggest conflict in the past was when her dad was against her desired marriage. At that time he had also been extremely angry, and had even grounded her. But after a while, he still let her have her way, and still cherished her.

Yan Ting shut his eyes and forcibly suppressed his anger. He kissed her forehead and comforted gently, "Don't cry. Father-in-law's anger just hasn't faded yet. Once it does in a few days, everything will be fine."

Yan Ting wasn't surprised at today's outcome. He was already prepared to accept the Zhenguo Duke's rage. However, he had just left them sitting there, giving them the cold shoulder. Thinking of the Zhenguo Duke's words according to his wife, he felt a little chill in his heart. Did they discover something?