Chapter 97

These words were a little offensive. The Zhenguo Duke hurriedly reprimanded her and then said apologetically to Emperor Xi: "Don't mind her, your majesty. My granddaughter is ignorant due to her youth."

Emperor Xi waved his hand, continuously saying it was fine. He smiled at this girl's sincerity which was rather startling. He lamented how quite a few people who were older than her didn't understand things as clearly.

People were a little confused by these words. Only a few understood his meaning.

The Zhenguo Duke was one of those people. He was the one who understood best.

If there was no familial affection between father and son in the royal family, then there naturally wouldn't be any between siblings. Although Emperor Xi had inherited throne due to his position as the previous crown prince, it had still been a rather bumpy road.

Emperor Xi was the eldest born of the principal wife, and had two younger brothers. Perhaps due to there being too many boys, the previous empress dowager didn't cherish Emperor Xi much. Instead, she favored the two younger ones.

As the crown prince and the eldest principal son, he had more right to the throne than anyone else. The young Emperor Xi had already started learning strategy, civics and the way of the monarch from the imperial tutors while his younger brothers were still in their mother empress's arms. Emperor Xi had to remain a perfect role model while his brothers could mess around under his mother empress's indulgence.

Perhaps she had loved him at first. Which mom wouldn't love their son?

But due to all sorts of hindrances, she had to hold her son to a higher standard since he was the crown prince. He would be the Grand Xi's future ruler, so he had to be better at everything. If he wanted to be outstanding, he had to work very hard and naturally couldn't play around like his younger brothers.

Gradually their relationship dulled and mother and son became distant. He was also not close to his brothers, and rarely spoke with them.

As Emperor Xi grew older, the empress kept asking him to treat his two brothers well in the future. His brothers had to yield everything because of him.
This was truly the case. They were all from the palace, but even though he wasn't as cherished by his parents, he was still the successor due to seniority.

Emperor Xi understood this and was also rather lenient towards his mother empress and his brothers.

Perhaps it was due to this, or perhaps the empress had also been worried about the lack of brotherly affection within the royal family, but she was always afraid Emperor Xi wouldn't treat his brothers well after ascending. Whenever he did something praiseworthy in front of the previous emperor, the empress would look agreeable on the surface yet speak the opposite in private. She wantonly praised her two younger sons while treating Emperor Xi differently...

Since he already got so much, why did he have to struggle for this little bit of affection with his brothers? Didn't he know that his brothers would have to leave for their vassal states in the future and depend on his royal father's affection for them, and his as their older brother?

He already has it so good, being able to stay with his parents and will be elevated above his brothers in the future. What more did he want?

Even though these words were never spoken out loud, Emperor Xi had understood.

It was because he understood that he felt even more heartache.

Am I not your son too?
Unfortunately these words could never be said.

Furthermore, Emperor Xi had started getting involved in court affairs and became more and more busy. He didn't have the time to be depressed. He could only keep his distance. By remaining far away, he wouldn't be hurt.