Chapter 15

The shadows of the trees in the imperial gardens flickered and danced.

It was still dark outside, but due to the moon in the sky it was still possible to make out the surroundings.

Luo Huai Yuan rubbed his buttocks as he limped back. He had taken this road back to the Xianyun Palace Hall too many times. He could walk it with his eyes closed.

He fumbled his way back and found the gates of the hall only open a crack. He struggled and pushed the doors open, and before he could force himself in a sharp yet happy voice sounded in his ear.

"Highness, you finally returned. You have no idea how many times Concubine Ma came asking about you. This servant kept saying you were still asleep. Concubine Ma said to go see her after you've woken up."

"I got it. Tell me the rest after letting me inside."
Xiao An Zi moved to the side to allow Luo Huai Yun inside. When they reached the lights, Xiao An Zi felt a shriek rise in his chest, but right as it was about to reach his mouth he swallowed it back down. He then said in a low voice: "Fourth prince, why is your face bruised?"

"Er....."

Luo Huai Yuan felt his face. Only after his touch resulted in pain did he realize Xiao An Zi wasn't lying to him.

No wonder he felt sore all over. Turns out his face was also bruised. He had thought it was just his butt.

"How will this do? If Concubine Ma sees highness's face is hurt, she'll definitely cry again....."

Having had enough of Xiao An Zi's fussing, Luo Huai Yuan pushed him away. "Enough, enough. I won't go see mother concubine today. If Que'er comes, say I haven't woken up yet."

"There's no other choice....." Xiao An Zi said sullenly.
While they spoke, the two had already entered the Xianyun Hall. The moment they entered, Xiao An Zi shut the doors.

"My goodness. Fourth prince, why are you covered in dirt!?"

"I say, Xiao An Zi. Can you stop being so dramatic? Go get me some water to wash it off."

Xiao An Zi left while muttering to himself and Luo Huai Yuan entered the inner hall. There was a mirror that was half a person's height inside, and he went over.

The copper mirror was bronze colored, but since it was something belonging to the royal family, it had been polished until it was gleaming, and the reflection could be seen extremely clearly. In the mirror was a little fatty, his round and chubby face full of bruises as he grimaced at himself.

Luo Huai Yuan was frozen.

When he woke up, he was curled up by himself in a corner of the imperial gardens. That small corner was where he loved to spend his time when he was young after crossing over to this world. Therefore, despite not having been there for many years, he knew instantly where he was.

He had raised his head and saw the full moon above. It was a silent night.

In his daze, Luo Huai Yuan had even wondered if everything had merely been a dream, and that he had just woken up now after falling asleep, tired from playing too much.

Then, he had stumbled back, his head muddled the entire way.

Now that he was standing in front of the mirror, he was thunderstruck as he looked at himself.

Was it truly all a dream?

But why could he still clearly see the blood trickling from her lips as she closed her eyes and departed, and feel that heart-rending grief in his chest? He still felt that heaven-scouring fury, his unvented resentment and his unwillingness that made his heart and his hands, and even his entire body tremble.