Russ 'Monty' Montgomery- First Date (c)

Your job didn't allow nerves. You were forced to go into dangerous and treacherous places to save people, even the slightest form of hesitation could lead to possibly fatal results for yourself, your team or those whom you were supposed to be protecting. Even though you had trained yourself to not be nervous in the field, you were very nervous now which was confusing as to most this was far less terrifying.

Tonight, would be your first date with your colleague Monty. For a fair while you had liked each other but you hadn't had the confidence to tell each other meaning you had lived in denial for a while. Although you were beyond excited to be going on your first date with him, you were also terrified that you would screw it up.

Luckily your other colleague Mae had offered to help you get ready, fussing over how you looked wanting you to be perfect for Monty, not that you were worried he wouldn't think so anyway. She was poking at your hair for what felt like the twelfth time when the doorbell to your house rang. You froze in your spot allowing your friend to open the door.

"You scrub up well," Mae said loudly as she opened the door.

"Mae? What are you doing here?" Monty asked.

"Just helping your lady get ready, she's a bundle of nerves. I should probably get going," she laughed before calling back to the lounge where you were currently residing. "Monty is here. Have fun, just not too much fun."

A lump caught in your throat as you realised your date was now about to start and you had the man of your dreams waiting in your doorway.

Hastily you snatched up your handbag, making sure that you had your keys before heading towards your front door to see a smartly dressed Russ Montgomery. Although his attire was very similar to that of which he wore for work, it felt very different to see him wearing that in this circumstance.

"Hi... Y/N," he smiled gently. "You look beautiful."

You couldn't help the heat rising to your cheeks as you heard the compliment, it made you feel very special.

"Thank you," you said softly lowering your head slightly. "You look great too."

"Are you ready?" He asked kindly.

Your head nodded. "I think so. What are the plans for the night?"

He paused, his face falling and looking rather terrified. You weren't quite sure why this was the case, but it did unnerve you. Maybe he was having second thoughts. Maybe he realised he doesn't actually want to go on a date with you. Had you done something wrong?

"Are you okay?" You asked hesitantly, not particularly looking forward to what he would say.

"I am such an idiot," he groaned, moving his hands to his face in embarrassment.

Your eyebrow cocked, not sure by what he meant.

"Sorry. I really am sorry. I completely forgot to plan anything. I was so worried and nervous, I forgot to actually get anything ready. I'm such an idiot, how the hell did I forget that? Maybe we should reschedule or I would completely understand if you never wanted to see me again, other than at work of course," he sighed in defeat.

Although it was probably an inappropriate moment, you couldn't help but laugh at how silly a moment it had become even though it was meant to be a lot more efficient.

"It's okay Monty. Really, I don't mind, and we don't have to reschedule if you don't want to," you smiled softly. "Maybe we could just stay here, watch some films and order in a pizza, not as fancy as to be expected but we've been friends for a while, we don't need to try and impress each other."

He smiled softly. "I would love that."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.