Spencer Reid- Clean Slate (h)

There was always going to be something that you would regret from when you were in school.

The person that you were in school was a completely different version to who you were now.

People could be harsh in school, they would say some insanely horrid things and give no second thought to the impact the words actually had.

There was no way that you could say you were innocent back in school – you had said your fair share of horrid things as well as being quite rude to people but when you thought back on it, you regretted it so much.

No one really ever thought that they'd see people from their school again especially in a situation where you'd have to work together.

However, that was not the case for you.

You had just started a new job within the BAU in the FBI, but you had no clue that Spencer Reid from your childhood had worked there for the past few years too.

Spencer was only a couple of years younger than you but because of his intellect he was in the same grade as you and your friends at school.

Nothing could have prepared you for the look on Spencer's face when he walked into the conference room to see you sat there chatting to Aaron.

"Ah Spencer," Aaron greeted him. "This is Y/N Y/L/N, she's the newest member of our team."

Spencer nodded without saying anything, but you stood up, looking at Aaron as you did so. "Spencer and I went to school together," you told him. "Do you mind if we pop out for a coffee to catch up?"

Aaron nodded so you turned to Spencer, who nodded in agreement for going for a coffee.

The two of you walked in relative silence until you were both sat down at a table with a coffee.

"How did you get the job at the BAU?" Spencer asked you.

You smiled at him. "I worked in the forensics unit for a while, but I wanted to get into profiling, so I did the training and then I was asked to join your team."

He nodded in acknowledgement as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I don't really know how to start this, but I know we need to clear the air."

Spencer sighed. "I never thought I'd see anyone from my school again."

"I know I was horrid to you back then, and I do want to apologise for that," you told him. "At the time I was trying to stay in the good books with my boyfriend and my friends – they realised I had a similar way of thinking just as you did but they treated me like I was stupid because I struggled with things a lot."

Spencer motioned for you to continue as he was listening intently.

"I ended up thinking that you must've thought I was stupid too because I was never on the same level as you – they didn't treat me very well, but they made me think that I would be seen as 'smart' if I was cold towards you and ignored you."

A smile graced Spencer's face. "I could never have thought you were stupid," he spoke in a soft tone. "I did recognise that you did well in classes and I was two years ahead of the rest of my peers hence me being in your grade," he continued to explain. "Of course, I expected people to not be accepting of me, but it hurt more so when someone who had a similar intellect to me treated me so badly."

You sighed as you realised how much you had hurt him in the past. Everything you had done you regretted, and you wanted desperately to be friends with Spencer, even if it turned into something else in the future.

"That was years ago though Y/N," he said with a smile. "I have learnt to forget, and we were both young, we both made mistakes and I can tell that you regret what happened."

"I do," you confirmed. "I haven't spoken to any of my so-called friends from school in years – in fact I'm dreading the reunion next year."

He chuckled. "We can go together if you'd like," he suggested but then panicked. "As we work together, just as colleagues."

"How about as friends? We can start there – a clean slate."

He smiled at your words. "I'd like that, as long as you no longer feel the need to apologise to me."

You giggled before you took a sip of your coffee. "I can't promise that, but it might get there some day."

"Clean slate it is then," he stated. "Nice to meet you – I'm Spencer Reid."

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.