Jennifer Jareau- Family (c)

"At least we get to go home," Jennifer smiled, taking off her bullet proof vest as the two of you begun to gather your bags back at the police precinct to be able to return home with.

"I bet you miss Will and the boys," you offered, knowing how much her family meant to her.

She nodded her head. "Will sent me a picture of the boys but Henry has chicken pox at the moment and we're hoping that Michael doesn't get it as he's so young."

"It must be nice to have a family to go home to."

You were an only child and had been orphaned in your late teens, so the system offered you no support. You were left with a fair inheritance and was able to buy an apartment, but you had no one. No relatives were left, so you put yourself through your training until you reached the BAU, the only people you really had was your colleagues but they pretty much all had their own families to care about instead of you being there.

"You have a family Y/N," she assured you.

You shook your head. "You know I don't."

She left her bags and turned her attention to you. JJ had become one of your closest friends on the team and you loved her family, they were what you wanted but you'd never been lucky in love nor felt ready to be a mother yet.

"Maybe not biologically but blood doesn't determine family. Just because you share blood with someone doesn't mean they are your family and if you don't share blood it doesn't mean they're not. It is down to whether they make you feel like family," she smiled softly. "Most of us do have partners or children or parents or siblings or people that we deem family outside of work, but I know full well that everyone on the team is part of my family. We are a family regardless of the lack of blood connection."

"You really see us as part of a family?" You asked cocking your eyebrow.

JJ nodded her head. "I know that if I ever need something or need to talk to someone, my work family are there for me whilst I'm away from my other family. And that is the same with you. It may take some time to see it like that, but we are your family and you need to never forget that."

You couldn't help but smile at her. Even if it was new to you, you were glad they were your family because the team were all you needed.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by