168

lex heard the door open as devin came in with a tired look on his eyes. followed by the noises and the chaos that d'angelo brought. looking at them both, lex offered him a smile as devin came from behind the couch as he laid a kiss on the top of her head, "feeling better?" he asked as lex nodded softly as she watched him come around and throw himself on the couch, softly placing his head on her thighs.

"much better." lex smiled as devin closed his eyes as they both heard d'angelo rage through the kitchen, "i'm sorry i didn't make it." she confessed as devin shook his head, dismissing her apology.

"i would rather have you at home missing the game than having you at the game where you could possibly have an anxiety attack, lex. i want you healthy." he spoke,  "i met haylee properly."

surprise to hear that name roll of his tongue, lex didn't think their encounter was a lovely one, "not my biggest fan." he chuckled, "she thinks i kidnapped you."

"oh! she was ready to end devin right there." d'angelos voice joined the conversation as he sat next to him, "for tiny humans, you guys sure hold so much anger in that body."

lex rolled her eyes at d'angelos comment before looking down at devin who resumed to closing his eyes, "what did she do?" she asked

"well other than accusing book of being a liar?" dangelo chuckled, "nothing because your brother came in and took her away."

"jonah was there?" she asked, and booker and russell nodded. finally looking at devin, "i'm sorry you had to deal with her in less pleasant terms."

"you should be!" d'angelo spoke up, "she's going to end my life once i get back home."

"i hope she does. lex retorted making d'angelo dramatically place a hand over his heart, his brown orbs widening.

"my death is on you, lex." russell warned, "i will come back and hunt you and torture you."

"you're torturing me right now."
lex spit back, "nothings new."

"i just figured out why short people are always so angry, because they have to make up for their lack of height."

"and your eyebrows make half of your face."

"see, now that's just plain disrespectful." dangelo quipped back, "you can't talk about a brothers eyebrows like that."

"d'angelo go back to your hotel room, man." devin chuckled as lex threw a pillow at him, "your team is going to leave without you."

d'angelo shook his head, but understood. it was late and he was sure devin and lex wanted to talk about the situation, "okay i get it, kick your best friend out, it's okay, though, book." d'angelo warned as he started leaving, "in all seriousness, lex? i really hope you start getting better. it's a battle everyday but you can do it, little miss cuban. and if it's okay with you, i want to tell haylee that i saw you after the game. i know you have to do what's best for you and if disconnecting from the world is one, i'm all for it. but i also know that your family is worried sick about you and i know they don't understand but i'm sure that the little piece of information that i can share with them will sit right in their hearts."

lex nodded, a soft smile as she looked at d'angelo, "thanks, d." she murmured, "i appreciate it, thank you."

"nah, don't worry about it, little miss." he waved her off, "i'll see my way out, good bight y'all."

it was quiet again between them, "what happened?"

"don't worry about it." devin opened his eyes as lex now had scooter down next to him, "she's worried and she's using her anger. i don't blame her. if mya did that, i'm sure davon and i wouldn't stop either. what i'm trying to say is, it's easier for people to judge from the outside. i can be a support system all day if i need to, but at the end of the day that's all i can do. it's an internal battle with you and yourself. some people handle it differently."

"at the end of the day lex. you finally did what you needed to do to feel better and get yourself better. like D said, if what you needed was to disconnect, i'm all for it. shit i'll disconnect too, if that's what you need."

"she shouldn't have treated you like that, though." lex muttered, "it's not fair."

"i really don't care." devin retorted, "it is what it is."