Chapter 36- emergencies

We arrive at the hospital emergency unit. Ross is taken in and I rush after him. The emergency nurse tells me that I need to give them some space to assess his injuries. And that I must have a check up myself. I oblige nodding.

A new nurse takes me over to a bed with a curtain and asks me to sit down. When she returns I dont know how much time has elapsed as I've been staring at the dots on the curtains. Just feeling numb. She looks shocked when she sees me, sitting completely still in the exact spot she left me in.
"Okay dear, just a few checks." She tells me.

She does various things, I try to ignore the whole process desperate to go and ask how Ross is. I just want her to get it over with.
"Your blood pressure is a little low and your skin is cold" she mentions.

"This is a difficult situation and I expect you are feeling shocked" she says. You don't say I almost retort.

"I just must go and see him" I tell her

"Okay and you can but I want your blood pressure back to normal first" she says.

"I need to monitor your blood pressure in case you need any intervention, in the meantime you have an insistent visitor. If you feel up to it? His name is Matthew" she tells me.

"Yes I'm up to it" I tell her.

She leaves behind the curtain and I remain staring at the colourful dots. This is completely my fault, why did I not think about him driving off on that bike in the snow.

Matty pops his head around the curtain.Seeing him soothes my head. My body instantly reacts relaxing. And I cry. He sits next to me on the bed. Arms around me pulling me into his chest. I cry and he just holds me.
When my crying ebbs a little he says "shhh I'm here".

"It's my fault, Matty" I tell him.

"It's not your fault. I know why you feel that way right now but it is not. And you did everything in your power to stop this becoming a lot worse" he says.

I look over at him. He wipes my eyes and smiles at me reassuringly. He kisses my lips lightly. One of his brunette curls hanging down over his forehead, I stroke it back.

"Thank you for talking me through it on the phone, and for being here now" I tell him.
He rubs my arm and pulls me back into his chest.

The nurse reappears. She checks my blood pressure and deems me safe to leave my curtained room. All throughout her checks Matty watches seriously, like his life depends on me being okay. She eyes Matty his presence, she decides I'm not going to do anything silly and grants me my freedom.

We walk hand in hand through the hospital. Matty asks the desk about Ross. I stand behind him waiting for the verdict.

Matty leads me down the the food hall explaining that they are still just checking on all of his injuries.
He gets me some food, pizza. And I realise it's actually quite late now nearly half past 7. I pick at my pizza.

"Once we've had some food we can go back up and check on him" Matty says.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, I totally forgot that they are friends. Friends from way before I was in the picture.

"Babe I'm fine, I'm just worried about you two" he says. He pushes his hair back and I yearn to be close to him.

We finish up our food, well as much of it as possible. And then we grab some to takeaway for Ross should he wake up.

On our way back to the desk in the emergency unit Matty keeps me close to him. He checks in with the receptionist and then sits back down with me.
His phone rings and he answers it immediately.

"Yes I'm here, no problem Jean" he says to a female.
"I'll update you of course" he says reassuringly. Then he hangs up.
And pockets his phone.

"Ross' mum she's working abroad at the moment. She in Dubai for fucks sake. I called her whilst I was on the way here to let her know" he says to me looking at the desk blankly.

I put my arms around him, he is always there for me and I need to reassure him in this moment.

"Matty you're incredible and I love you. Thank you for being there for me and for everybody else" I tell him.

"I love you Taylor, I thought something was going to happen to you. I thought you were going to I don't know fuck... crash yourself and I couldn't keep my shit together" he says and he puts his head in his hands pinching his nose.

I lifts his head to mine.

"I'm sorry I know but I didn't I'm here." I tell him.
"You were so calm on the phone, it really helped me" I tell him.

He kisses me, urgently and possessively. Then he breaks away from me and puts his arm around my shoulder. I rest my head on his shoulder and I close
my eyes.