Chapter 39- it feels nice to laugh again

I jolt awake in the morning not recognising where I am. I look around it's roasting in here. I've kicked my blanket off in the night and even just in Matty's shirt I'm warm. Matty is asleep next to me in his recliner. He looks completely exhausted, I lean over and stroke his face. His brunette hair is falling all around his face. He looks relaxed as he breathes softly. I kiss him lightly on his lips. I pull my shirt back down over my hips and lay on my back.

Alarmed I think of Ross. I swivel myself out of my recliner remembering the accident, everything. I see Ross asleep, his machine is stable and there is no need to worry. Satisfied I yawn and stretch out. Jay catches my eye from his chair, he's awake and I briefly wonder if he's been asleep at all. I pull my shirt down feeling self conscious in front of him. I hope he didn't see my panties, I flush red.

I go over to the window behind Jay. I glance at the snow which has settled. It reminds me of a Christmas film. I laugh. One where you end up in hospital with three men.
"What's so funny" Jay asks me softly. I turn to him smiling.

"Fuck knows I think I'm in shock still" I laugh
I walk into the en-suite and brush my teeth. I tie my hair up, Jay's watching my every move. I wash my face and wipe my eyes. I catch him looking at my thighs, such an animal even in these circumstances. He sees me and quickly looks away. That's new he would normally makes some comment or wink at me. He actually seems sorry for once.

Ross makes some noise from the bed like he's chocking. I go over and check him.
"You okay?" I ask stroking his face.

"So fucking painful. My leg." He says. His eyes open and he grins at me.
"Hi, good morning" He chuckles.

"Hi yourself good morning" I smile back.
"You mind if I check it out" I ask him. I want to take away the pain so I hit the morphine.

"No that's fine just don't tell me shit about it" he laughs.
"I don't wanna know just yet" he says looking at me.
I stroke his face. I can't stop touching him.

I lift up the blanket gently and fold it over. He is bandaged up but I think it needs checking.
"Your bandage needs changing" I say calling for the nurse. I replace the cover back over him.

The nurse comes in and advises that someone will change the bandage within the hour.
"Feel like you're doing my job for me dear, thank you" she chuckles and leaves.

"Thanks for taking care of me, Tay. And for staying with me" Ross says looking at the guys as well.

Matty is awake now. Stretching out in his chair.
"Shit we need to let uni know" I say softly.

"I emailed them last night, about the whole thing" Matty says.

"I don't have any lectures" Jay says.

"So looks like you're stuck with us" I say smiling at Ross.
"I'll go and grab you some stuff from the shops if you like" I tell him and I stroke his arm.

"Thanks but honestly it's fine, I'm all good if you lot wanna go home" Ross says.

"Hey Ross do you want me to let the others know ?" Jay asks.

"Yeah if you see them, you can tell them" he says.
"I feel like a dick for falling off" he adds.

"Don't worry man, it's easily done" Jay says. I double take why is he being so nice? Normally he would be ripping into Ross.

I smile at Ross to reassure him.
"What do you want from the shop?" I ask.

"Okay if you insist please can you get me a monster can and some chocolate" he laughs.

"Are you allowed monster with morphine" I say.

"Please let me have my monster" he laughs at me.

"Okay I'll ask the nurse" I laugh. Weirdly I feel like kissing him again. But of course I don't do that. He holds onto my hand.

I turn to Matty and smile at him.
"Let me get you some breakfast?" I ask him and he smiles.

We head out of the hospital room together. He takes my hand in his and we walk along the corridor. I marvel at how much better I feel than I did yesterday. I turn to Matty whilst we're walking.
"Sorry babe for putting you through all of this, I love you and things will go back to normal soon" I tell him. I feel super mature and I know it's most likely hard for him to not have me to himself.

I stop in the corridor, and he looks at me inquisitively. I kiss him. I kiss him deeper and start crying at the same time. I just think I'm over-emotional. There's nobody around and he kisses me back.

After some time he pulls away from me.
"You all good babe" he asks smiling. He brushes his thumb over my lips.

"Yes I just want to show you how much I love you" I say.

"I love you too, so much. None of this is your fault. I'm here out of choice. Okay?" He tells me.

He always knows the right things to say.
"But I will not let you buy me breakfast" he chuckles.

"Hey you always pay! I don't want you to think I'm just freeloading" I tell him smiling.

"I don't think that. And I don't mind buying you food so shh and accept it" he laughs.

I laugh along. It feels so nice to laugh again.