Chapter 40- cocktails soon

***Mattys POV***

I'm definitely buying her breakfast. I eye her tucking into the fry up and can't help but to wonder about everything.
Ross must have been in a mood leaving her and combined with the snow I think that resulted in the accident. What did she say to him? I can't help but to wonder about that a lot. And then she felt so bad about the whole thing. And I just kept thinking well would she really feel like that if she just forgot to offer him a lift in the snow.

I can't push that conversation. She cares about him, no doubt. But she cares about most people. She did kiss his cheek yesterday but she was emotional, and now they have a shared experience. However tragic it might be.

After we finish up we stroll around the shops in the snow. She gets the stuff for Ross and a few extras. Magazines and that kind of stuff.

"Hey you wanna head home after we give him this?" She asks me.
"Or we can stay a little and then go home for the night" she laughs.

"Sounds good let's make sure he's okay and then go I'll get some dinner on the way home" I tell her. I'm sorry I do want her to myself tonight. I don't even feel guilty about that.

"You always thinking about your next meal?" she chuckles teasing me.

"Our next meal! It's important you eat after shock. The cars been towed back to ours by the way" I tell her.

"Ah I'm sorry. That's my fault" she says preoccupied looking through the store.

"No it's all good babe" I tell her.
"You did exceptionally well last night" I say and mean it. She remained calm, she didn't crash or hurt herself and she found my best friend. Had he of been left it might have been hours before anyone found him. Worse somebody could have driven straight into him. Or he could have caught pneumonia.

"You saved his life, Tay" I tell her.

"I got him into that mess it was the least I could do" she says and looks at the floor.

"Tay I don't get it, how is it you think you are to blame" I ask. Gently prodding, I'm not going to be too insistent.

"I ugh didn't offer him a lift. I had also just told him that I couldn't do any of this anymore. Not that anything was going on" she looks at me alarmed.

But I get her. I know what she means.

"I just got the feeling he was stressed and it wasn't right to let him just drive off" she explains.

"That's still not your fault though." I attempt to reassure her.

We head to the tills and she stops at the Christmas aisle.
"Hey do you have a Christmas tree" she asks.

"Of course. But we will need to get some more decorations soon not just yet" I tell her laughing.

"I'm going to buy you the best present Matthew" she says using my full name.
I smile at her.

"I'm going to spoil you Taylor" I tell her and I briefly kiss her.

We pay for the shopping and head back towards the hospital. We walk through all of the different wings and she holds my hand. She eyes me when we go past the maternity wing. I chuckle. We hear the little babies screaming and wince.

"You know I kept thinking yesterday especially with all that was going on. I kept thinking you know you could have my future inside of you and if you were to be injured... I just cannot lose you or all of the things we are working towards" I say.

"Good job that I don't want to lose you either" she laughs.

We head into Ross' room he is asleep and on his own. Jays jacket is there, he must have gone out for a smoke. Taylor checks on Ross standing by the bed.

She would be an amazing nurse, should she want to be one that is. She is diligent and caring. And it sounds totally stupid but seeing the way she cares about others just proves to me how good of a mother I know she would be.

She eyes the machine and feels his forehead. He moans a little and she shh's him. She sits next to me in the chair and we watch the tv that he has left on.

After around 40 minutes he stirs. And of course he's saying my girls name. Which of course gets under my skin a little. Just a touch. She's mine.

She stands and eyes him warily.
"I'm here" she says.
He opens his eyes and smiles.

"God I want to smoke so bad" he laughs.

"No can do. But I got you your stuff" she laughs handing him the bag.
"How's you?" She adds.

He smiles at her as she hands him the shopping.
"Thanks guys" he says looking at me.
I smile back at him. He is like a brother really. One I fall out with and fight with but love all the bloody same.

"I'm feeling alright, sore but better" he says.

She sits with me and relief washes through me. She's not touching him every second she gets. It seems like some of the emotion has passed and now we're getting back to normal. I'm not going to be a dick about it. But I can guarantee that if I was stroking Rachel's face and kissing her cheek she would feel at least some jealousy.

Just then Jay returns with Rach behind him. Well that's new. I wonder what's going on there and smile.
Tay stands up and hugs Rach quickly saying hi. She returns to me again.

"Ross, how are you doing" Rach asks. She hands him some sweets and smiles.
They talk, poor Ross has to go over the accident again. I look at Taylor whose looking decidedly numb and sad again. Jay is sitting with Rach, arm around her. He still watches Taylor though every chance he can get. I brush Taylor's thigh and she gets my hint nodding. We are taking our leave.

I book a cab on my phone and order us some food to be delivered to ours for when we get home. Chinese, I know her order already.

Taylor stands up, shakily and heads over to Ross.
"I'll check in with you later" she says.
"Can I hug you or are you like in pain?" She laughs.

He hugs her. And we're back to the touching. I get it, but I do wonder how long he will milk this.

"See you man, hope you feel better" I say.
I nod to Jay and Rach.
Of course Tay goes over to hug Rach smiling at her.

"Cocktails soon?" Rach asks her.
"Oh most definitely when this one is out" she says pointing to Ross.

I take her hand in mine and we leave.