Chapter 3: Tangled up in Blue

Hayley was sitting on the floor reading Elijah's diary

"August 1359. I have noticed a difference in my siblings. Our bond strains beneath the pressure of our life as vampires. Each day removes them further from the humanity we once possessed. My sweet sister, Rebekah, has grown quite indifferent to brutality. However, the true problem remains my brother, Niklaus. He continues to hide his loneliness with cruelty. Still, I cling to the hope that I, as their eldest brother, I can lead them down the correct path, a path charged with the power of a family united. For if I fail, our family's legacy will end in darkness."

Rebekah, Klaus and Larisa were standing in the first floor.

"I cannot believe you disposed of those vampires without me. You know how l love to set things on fire." Rebekah told Klaus.

"Was I supposed to leave them in the front yard to rot?" Klaus asked her sarcastically "Besides, they were my responsibility. They attacked the helpless pregnant girl who's carrying my child. "

"Oh, I am so moved by your new found sense of fatherly duties towards the werewolf carrying your Hybrid bun in her oven." Rebekah told him sarcastically.

Klaus and Larisa both chuckled and Hayley walked in the room looking at everyone.

"The werewolf would like to know what the plan is."

"Well, that depends what plan you mean, love?" Klaus asked her "My plan for global domination. Risa's plan to find a way to bring Kol back from the dead, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world."

Rebekah smirked at him sarcastically, before she took a pencil from the desk beside her and threw it in Klaus' direction.

Klaus caught it easily before it could impale his face.

"The plan to rescue Elijah." Hayley told him "You know, the good brother. The one who is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back."

"In the front, if we're being specific." Klaus told her.

"You three said that you would get him back." Hayley told them as she pointed at each of them "So is there a plan, or what?"

"Okay." Klaus sighed and beckoned them to follow him into the office "Well, firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy. He's my friend, albeit one who is unaware that I'm trying to sabotage his hold over the supernatural community of the French Quarter, but a friend nonetheless. And secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known the so-called King of the Quarter would place my brother in the hands of a particularly nasty teenaged witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently. And thirdly, sister, Risa. Please."

"And thirdly, the plan, as you have demanded, is for Nik to simply ask Marcel for Elijah back." Larisa told her.

"That's... that's not the whole plan, is it?" Hayley asked them in shock.