Chapter 40: When the Levee breaks

Klaus was sitting at the table in the dining room, having a mimosa, looking at Elijah and Larisa as they walked in, glaring at him

"Something the matter, brother? Risa? Can I offer either of you a drink, perhaps?"

"Strangely enough, I'm not in a mimosa mood," Elijah told him.

"Fantastic. More for me." Klaus smirked at them.

"Let's discuss strategy, shall we?" Larisa asked annoyed.

"Just wondering if you actually have one. We can begin with Mikael's ashes. Given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, care to tell me where they disappeared to?" Elijah asked his brother.

"Elijah, I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your own person edification, and yet you ignore my efforts in favor of needless concerns," Klaus told him.

Rebekah then walked in.

"Can we stop talking so loudly?" She saw tea on the table, walking toward it "Give me that."

"What's the matter?" Klaus asked her sarcastically "New witch body not up to last night's bender?"

Rebekah picked up the tea cup "So I had a few. It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother."

She sat across from Klaus at the other head of the table, raising her glass.

"Again."

Klaus raised his glass, taking a drink with his usual smirk on his face.

"Whoever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" Klaus asked, chuckling "Oh, come on. We all fled Mikael's tyranny for centuries." He then pointed at Larisa "Including you Risa. I thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant."

"Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus," Elijah told him, sitting next to Klaus "Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with."

Klaus stood, turning away, pouring himself another drink.

"You know, for someone who's been invited to a celebratory breakfast, you're proving quite the buzzkill."

"Well, Niklaus, if indeed anything has killed the buzz', as you say, perhaps it was because murdering Father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia," Elijah told him.

Klaus turned to face them.

"If Freya wants to be a part of this family, she should be willing to accept us." He sat down "Warts and all."

"Elijah's right, Nik." Larisa told him "Freya loved Mikael. And you've likely ruined everything."

"Pity," Klaus told them sarcastically "Whatever shall I do?"

"Whatever you please, apparently," Larisa answered in annoyance.

"Do not mistake my high spirits for lack of clarity," Klaus told them "I know full well the threat we face, and I intend to deal with it personally."