Chapter 24: Every mother's son

The next morning Hayley was munching on an array of fruit and other breakfast food

She turned when she heard Klaus walking down the stairs to join her.

"So, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef?" She asked him.

Klaus looked around the table in confusion.

"It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this." Klaus gestured to the food on the table for emphasis.

Hayley nodded, looking over the display.

"Hmm. Well, it does have Elijah's flair of dramatics, so I guess we have him to thank."

In that moment Elijah returned to the compound, joining them, looking around the display just as confused.

"This wasn't my doing." He pointed towards the table.

Hayley looked in between the brothers.

"Max maybe?" She asked.

In that moment Maximo walked down the stairs and looked around the table in confusion.

"Wasn't me Hails." He shook his dead.

"Which begs the question, where did this all come from?" Elijah asked them.

The silver lid on the platter began to rattle, startling them.

Klaus looked uneasy, lifted the platter, releasing three starlings that flew up toward the ceiling, making the four of them to reflexively duck, all puzzled, nervous.

"What the hell was that?" Hayley asked.

Klaus reached for the invitation on the tray, opening it.

Dinner, Your Home, 8 PM

"An invitation from our mother," Klaus answered.

Hayley and Maximo looked at the siblings in concern, confused.

Klaus and Elijah exchanged a look.