Chapter 85: The Kindness of Strangers

"In New Orleans, bodies cannot be buried

"In New Orleans, bodies cannot be buried. Instead, in boxes above the ground, the dead cluster together. When a man passes on,his family tomb is cracked open. Old bones are shoved aside to make room for fresh remains. Bloodlines rot, entangled. The houses are that way, too. Layer upon layer of peeling paint, hiding little tragedies. Scorch marks from the fires. Waterlines on wallpaper. These are the tombs of the living, where we rot alongside memories of our dead. Crowded with people we have failed and those who have failed us, we are forced to struggle with those we love."

Out on the balcony of the compound, Klaus was looking down at the empty quarter as Elijah walked up behind him.

"Every last exit is sealed. If you're thinking about jumping, don't. I already tried it. I landed in the world's most pretentious wine cellar." Elijah told him.

Klaus turned around and walked closer to him.

"You sorted it by vintage. You don't remember, do you? I thought Marcel was intent on retrieving your memories."

"He was. He failed. I still remember absolutely nothing, and Antoinette is dying." Elijah shook his head.

"Is she? Right. Yes. I'd forgotten." Klaus smirked at him.

"What the hell are we doing here? What is this place? This is dangerous, you and I here together." Elijah asked him angrily.

"We're not actually here together, are we? Not physically, at least. It's called a Chambre de Chasse. It's a magical mental prison designed to resemble our home. But don't worry. There's always a way out... A game or a riddle." Klaus explained him smugly.

"How do we solve this riddle?" Elijah asked him.

"We don't do anything. We're square, you and I. You almost killed Larisa, killed Hayley, and Antoinette will die because of me. I would hate to upset that delicate balance. So I'm gonna find my way out, and you're on your own."

With that Klaus walked away.