Chapter 28: Chasing the devil's tail

It was barely sunrise out in the Bayou

Jackson was preparing Oliver's body for his funeral.

He wrapped it up in a white sheet.

He doused him in alcohol.

He put him in a small boat and he took a drink of whiskey.

He pushed the boat out into the lake, lighting it on fire with a lighter.

Oliver's remains were smoking on the lake.

Jackson drank on the nearby dock.

Hayley walked closer timidly, grieving.

While Maximo was waiting for her by shack.

"I'm so sorry, Jack."

"This is bull, Hayley. Crescent tradition says you have a funeral at dawn, and no one is here."

She didn't know what to say.

"That loyalty..." Jackson seemed desperate and lost. "Loyalty's gone."

Jackson started to walk off the dock.

"We're standing around moping over Ollie's body when there's a war to be fought. I understand that you have to grieve, Jack. So do I. You waited for me, so I'll do the same for you. But our people need their Alpha."

She gently pulled the bottle from his hand and put it on the table, giving him one final comforting shoulder squeeze before leaving him to mourn, Maximo a second behind her.

As much as Hayley was tempted to sit with Jackson, she had a make-shift war council waiting in the city, determined to fight back against Esther while Klaus spent the day getting Elijah's mind together.

Aiden met them in Algiers.

Even though they'd wanted Jackson, it was clear he needed more time, and they were just gonna have to accept that.

Waiting meant using the person who did still have a sway over the wolves 'pack mentality.

Heading into Marcel's apartment, they were met with a groan.