Chapter 27: Wheel inside the wheel

Hayley and Maximo were wandering through a slightly familiar area of The Bayou

It wasn't by the old shacks The Crescents used to use as a base - that would've been too obvious of a hiding spot, but Jackson also hadn't wanted to set up home too far from the places he'd grown attached to.

He'd chosen a more remote and cloaked part, among thinker trees, but by the river.

They were looking for him as part of their plan to regain control of the wolves.

That morning, Hayley received word that Oliver would be killed at midnight, revenge for betraying Finn and Esther, so she asked Maximo to go with her and ask Marcel and Gia for help.

Even if the vampires didn't care about Ollie, he'd been with Elijah, and they did all care about finding him.

Except, Marcel would only help if they had a definite way to get the wolves on Finn's side under their control, and Hayley thought finding Jackson was the way to do that.

Hayley looked over the tin trailer, grass growing through the wheels and rust on the sides.

There was a noise, and Hayley spun on her heel, catching two arrows and tossing them to the floor.

"Is that your best shot?" She called out to a figure among the trees "You're gonna have to do a lot better than that if you're gonna kill a hybrid!"

The man came properly into view, dark grey hair, stubble, and a casual blue flannel.

An outfit that did not match the vibe of the terrifyingly long dagger he was pulling out from a sheath or the handcrafted bow over his shoulder.

The guy eyed them suspiciously.

There was another noise, a squeaking as the trailer door opened.

They heard Jackson's voice "Stop!"

They turned immediately at the sound of his voice.

Jackson walked out of the trailer toward them.

Hayley's posture immediately softened as she saw him, "Jack?"

"Hayley, Max." He tried for a smile "I see you've met my friend Ansel."

Said man was still holding the dagger up "You know them?"

"She was supposed to be my wife," Jackson broke the ice.