Chapter 6: Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

The next day after a good night sleep, Larisa had walked into the living room but she instantly stopped to take the scene in

Klaus was sitting on the low-lying leather sofa in the living room, reading a poetry collection by William Blake.

While Elijah was sitting opposite him in a comfy throne-like chair, a tall rounded back enclosing him as he flicked through Esther's Grimoire.

There was a dead body on the coffee table, large puncture wounds in her neck.

"Ummm good morning?" She greeted the brothers watching the scene in confusion.

"Good morning, Larisa." Elijah smiled at her.

She pointed to the table "Nik?"

"Obviously." He answered her in annoyance.

"Mhhhh." She nodded sarcastically.

Rebekah wandered in, a surprisingly fancy purple dress on - considering she was leaving now that she knew Elijah was okay.

The vampire took a moment to process what she was seeing, then broke the peace even further.

"This is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?"

Klaus turned a page of his book "Reading edifies the mind, sister."

Her irritation became solely focused on him.

"Isn't that right, Elijah?" Klaus asked his older brother with a smirk.

"Yes," Elijah didn't even raise his head "That's quite right, Niklaus."

She gestured to the dead girl on the table "And what's this business?"

"This is a..." Elijah shook his head while waving his hand "Peace offering."

"I presumed," Klaus sighed "That after so much time desiccating in a coffin, my big brother might be a bit peckish."

"And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought."

They were both talking to their respective books rather than each other, seeing who'd break first.

"I'd simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition," Elijah lost, putting on a false smile, aimed at Klaus "And personal growth."

Klaus rolled his eyes.

Elijah nodded to the girl "Not this nonsense."

"Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste," Klaus defended "Could I?"

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin," Rebekah growled "Because she's staining a two-hundred-year-old carpet."

Elijah looked down at the puddle of blood "Ah... yes."