Chapter 13: Crescent city

The next day Larisa and Maximo, were standing in front of Davina's tombstone

They both were holding in their hands bouquets with Red poinsettias.

The Christmas Flower.

It was the start of February, but Larisa didn't care.

Davina had missed Christmas anyway, and it was technically still winter.

The layered, leaf-shaped petals made her smile, the bright colour eye-catching compared to the dreary setting they were in. And, most importantly, they represented cheer and celebration.

Larisa would have a celebration with Davina once they'd gotten her back.

One for the birthday she'd spent in the attic, and one for the Christmas she'd been dead.

The flower was the promise of that.

...In a way, the flowers were also for Kol, Christmas had been his favorite holiday... so...

They both placed them in front of her tomb.

The both of them then started heading out, before they noticed Sabine with group of tourist behind her.

"Each tomb is well cared for," Sabine was gesturing around to the tour group behind her. "Families honour their dead with displays of affection and respect."

As Sabine led the group past Larisa and Maximo, they decided to follow them.

"This place belongs to the Deveraux family."

Larisa and Maximo stood in the back as they watched her.

"Known throughout The Quarter for their strong connection to witchcraft."

An ear-piercing screech echoed out from inside, blasting through the bricks.

Maximo and Larisa watched with wide eyes, before they pushed through the croud, and looked down at the dirty ground, where a familiar young girl was laying.

"Monique?" Maximo whispered in shock.

The girl looked up at her best friend, who was standing next to shell shocked Larisa.

"Max?"

The tourists started clapping.

Even more people were pulling out phones to take pictures, muttering about how long they thought the girl had been waiting to jump out at them and whether or not placing mock explosives in a graveyard was safe.

"Hello, Monique," Sabine's voice was different, somewhat lower "Welcome back to the land of the living."