Chapter 48: The axeman's letter

The next day Vincent, Cami and Larisa were walking around the streets of New Orleans

"So, there is an active serial killer at large, and the city's response is to throw a serial-killer-themed festival?" Cami asked.

"Axeman's Jazz Fest is a big deal, Cami! Ain't nobody gonna sit that out because some active, second-tier serial killer is on the loose. And, as far as killers go, Axeman's the best this city's ever had." Vincent explained her with a small laugh.

Cami gave Vincent a skeptical look as they walked down the street together and continue their conversation.

He scoffed at her ignorance of the Axeman's history.

"What? The year was 1919, and after terrorizing the city for months with an actual ax, he writes a letter to the Times-Picayune. Claims he's a demon. He says he's gonna kill thousands the next night. Only way he wouldn't was if every house in the city threw a party and played jazz as loud as it could. Every single house in the city did. No one died! Haha! Now, some people think it was a vampire." Vincent explained her further.

Larisa looked at them and nodded "Oh, he wasn't a vampire. He was actually a witch."

"She's right. He was." Vincent comferned.

Cami looked at Vincent and Larisa in disbelief.

"How do you two know he's a witch?"

"Oh, he's a witch. The day he chose was Fête de Cadeau. That's the day that every witch gives a gift to the city in hopes that the city gives one back."

"It's true. Now, Axeman's 'idea' of gift was not murdering people for a day, and in return?" Larisa continued.

"Look!" He gestured around at all the people and stalls on the streets "The city threw him the greatest party it has ever seen!"

Cami realized what this meant and stopped in her tracks.

"Wait. So, what you're saying is while frat boys celebrate an ax murderer, the witches are having their version of Christmas, which made them all easy pickings for whoever our killer is."

"You both still think our playboy vampire is the best lead we got?" Vincent asked the human and Hybrid.

"My gut's telling me he's involved somehow." Cami told him.

And Larisa nodded "Which means if he kills again, it's our fault for convincing Nik not to kill him." She pointed out.

"So, I want to keep tabs on him." Cami continued.

Just then, they saw Lucien walking down the street, stopping by a stall selling handmade decorations.

Vincent pointed at him and lowered his voice.

"Well, well, well... Speak of the devil."

Cami, Larisa and Vincent exchange worried looks before they slowly follow Lucien down the street, trying their best to remain inconspicuous.