Arc 2: Getting The Job Done

Disclaimer:

I don't own Naruto. Kishimoto Does.

Arc 2:

Chapter 9: Getting the Job Done

"We're definitely dealing with a heavy, metal-based toxin," Sarada informed Sakura. The intense rhythmic tapping was one of the things Sarada's mother had taught her to recognize from a young age. In hindsight, perhaps it was because of what happened to Kankurō that Future Sakura was so strict when it came to recognizing poisons. Clearing her head from those thoughts, Sarada focused back on the heartbeat. It was too fast for her liking, making her frown in concern.

"The kind that destroys muscle tissue?" Sakura asked her. They didn't run into poisons like that too often.

Sarada nodded. "Seems so," she said as she lifted her head from his chest. "It's destroying the integrity of the cells."

"You're able to learn all that, in one look?" The medics of Suna sounded shocked, but Sarada didn't have time to be proud of herself.

"According to his chart," Sarada looked at the clipboard in her hands. "It seems that the cardiac muscle will be weakened to the point where the heart will collapse and cease functioning altogether. It's doubtful we'll be able to come up with an antidote in time."

"What are you saying?!" Temari snapped angrily in misplaced panic, her brow creased in worry as she stared down the two medics."There's nothing you can do?"

Sakura and Sarada looked at her in understanding before looking at each other. Sarada had a determined look in her eyes, and Sakura nodded. "We're gonna need a few things, and we'll need them quickly." She told the medics. "This is gonna be pretty crude but, it's the only option we have."

Sarada tied her hair up as well, adjusting her glasses. The medics went to get the things Sakura wrote down for them while they got ready for the procedure.

"Are you ready for this?" She asked Sarada. The girl nodded, stretching her arms. "We can do this," Sarada said confidently.

The medics came back with large pots filled with the medicinal herb water and placed them on either side of Kankurō. Two next to Sakura, two next to Sarada. They both placed their hands on the water at the same time, preparing to start.

"Hold him down and don't let him move," Sakura told the other medics firmly. "This part of the procedure is not going to be easy for him."

"Alright," Temari positioned herself near Kankurō's head, holding it down while the other medics grabbed his other limbs.

Sakura and Sarada extracted water bubbles from the pots, both of the bubbles glued to their palms. They held the substance steadily above his chest.

"Ready?" Sakura asked Sarada.

"Ready." She answered.

"Here goes," Sakura inserted the bubble into Kankurō's chest, and he started screaming in pain, his body thrusting up off the table. The medics struggled as they held him down, his thrashing making it harder to keep his back pinned to the table. Sarada took her cue and inserted another bubble to his abdomen, his piercing scream from the intense pain sending chills down their spines. He managed to break the medics hold, shooting up into a sitting position.