Raising Money for Charity Part 4

This is the fourth and final installment for this mini-series. Enjoy.

Max was rushed to the nearest vet clinic where the vets did everything they could to save him. You and the other Avengers wait outside the reception area in anticipation. After being in surgery for what felt like hours, the vet comes out and delivers the news.

"Max is not completely out of the woods yet but it looks like he might make it." you all breath a collective sigh of relief, "However," the vet continues, "we couldn't save his leg and we had to amputate it."

"Well at least he's going to live" you say "Can we see him?" You walk in to see Max in recovery. "Hey Max, how are you?" you ask. "I have never felt better." says Max in what seems like a very dazed state. "That may be because the anesthesia is still wearing off," you giggle.

"Will I be able to walk again?" Max asks in a concerned manner. "The vets think you should be able to walk on three legs. At your age the adjustment shouldn't take too long."  "Hey Max," Tony interjects, "I know I can't understand a word you're saying, unlike tiger-eyes here, but if you didn't take the bullet, we would have lost an important member of the team," he gestures to you. Max makes a low whine "Max says he was just doing what dogs are suppose to do when their family is in danger," you translate for Tony.  "Max? Did you really thought you found a home with us?" you ask Max. "Well it sure as hell beat the last home I lived in," Max replies. "What if I was able to convince the others?" you suggest, "we could fill out the papers, make it official, and you could be like our mascot." "Even without my leg?" "We can get you another one." you say. "Will it be metal like the damaged man's?" The dog asks excitedly wagging his tail. "Yeah I'm sure Tony can fashion one to look like Bucky's."

You talk to the other Avengers about adopting Max. The vote was unanimous. As soon as Max was free to leave the clinic, you head to the shelter to fill out the papers. Max was officially a member of the Avengers.

The next night was the night of the charity banquet. Tony kept his word to take it easy with the liquor distribution, and Thor kept his word to keep the strip act for the entertainment at a PG rating. For the speaking portion there was a special dedication to Max as a former rescue from the local shelter. The rest of the acts, including your performance with Wanda, was a success; the overall night was successful. The banquet was able to raise enough money to save the shelter.

"I hope the others at the shelter can find a nice loving home like I found with you guys," Max says. "That's something we all hope for." you respond, "Hopefully, with the shelter staying open, we can accomplish that."

The end.