Read My Lips- Clint Barton

I thought I'd try something different. The reader in this one-shot is deaf and also has extra sensory abilities that allow her to feel vibrations around her. May be a swear word here and there. I'll do my best for this one.

"Hey, (y/n)," you felt the vocal vibrations coming from your boss, getting your attention, "I need you to stack these over at that isle right there." "Right away, sir," you nod and went to do as you were instructed. While doing so you didn't hear the customer on the same isle call for you, and they take you by surprise when you feel them tap your shoulder. You point to where they needed to go to find what they were looking for. When they left you felt a little embarrassed that you didn't sense the vibrations sooner.

Even though you were born deaf, you never actually had trouble hearing what people say; you didn't "hear" things the way most people do. In addition to being deaf you were also gifted with the ability to feel vibrations coming from people whenever they speak. Within time you learned to determine the different vibrations coming off different people; since these sensory abilities weren't 100% reliable, you also learned ASL and how to read people's lips. Even so, you still weren't always the most confident with these talents, but still, you did your best to live your life to the fullest.

In the present you were resuming your task when you happen to see a couple of suspicious looking men walk into the store from the corner mirror. They met a man who was a worker your boss hired three days ago, and even though you couldn't exactly make out what they were saying from the mirror, you were pretty sure you saw one man whisper into the  other man's ear, "Hail HYDRA."    Having seen on the news what HYDRA was capable of, you wanted to know what they were up to. You saw the men follow your fellow co-worker into the back, and decided to follow to see what they were up to. 

Once in the back, you hid behind some boxes, peaking behind them so you could read their lips. "Is everything set in place?" you saw one man ask. "Yes," the co-worker replies, "the seismic charges have been set," he pulls out what appeared to be a trigger, "a push of this button and a chunk of New York City will be ripped apart in two. "Very good," the other man said, "the charges will go off tonight when the bulk of the city is asleep, including the Avengers." "Hang on," the other man's posture seem to become more alert, "It appears someone has been eavesdropping." You quickly pulled back behind the boxes, and discretely walked back into the store. 

You told your boss you weren't feeling so well, so you could leave the store. The news that there were charges set in the city was very alarming for you to find out about. You weren't exactly sure what to do, but one thing was clear; these HYDRA agents planned to carry out this plot tonight. Walking, you considered your options and thought maybe the best thing to do was to find the Avengers and warn them.

At that moment, your vibrations senses once again didn't come to when you needed them because the two men from the store grab you from behind, one placed a hand over your mouth and dragged you into an ally. "Going somewhere, bitch?" one man sneered at you, taking his hand off your mouth. Even though you could sense their vibrations, you decided to make gibberish noises and show you couldn't hear them in order to throw them off; you even added some ASL into the mix. "Forget it, she can't hear a dam word anyone's saying," the other man rudely told him. "She's pretending," the co-worker informed them, dissolving your deception, "She can hear us just fine." You were pretty scared at this moment, unsure of what fate was to be in store for you right now. "She knows too much," the co-worker HYDRA agent pulled out a pistol.

Before he could shoot, an arrow shot from out of nowhere, knocking the pistol out of his hands. All four pairs of eyes look to where the arrow was shot from and you instantly recognized the man on top the roof to be none other than Hawkeye. "You fellas should know better then to shoot a lady in broad daylight," he says and jumps from the roof. He shoots a few more arrows to pin all three men to the wall.

"Thank you," you say surprised. "Your welcome," Clint signs. "You saw that didn't you?" you realized. "Pretty much," Clint replies, "So where you really pretending back there or are you...actually..." "Deaf?" you finish, "Yes. I was born that way, but I also have this ability to that allows me to feel vibrations coming off people whenever they speak. That's how I find out these guys were HYDRA and what they were up to." "Really?" Clint grins, "That's pretty cool." "Thanks, but I do need to tell you something." You explained how these agents had placed seismic charges around the city. Afterwards, Clint gave a heads up to the Avengers via comm device. The team assembled and spent the rest of the day finding these charges.

To show their gratitude towards you, they invited you to the tower. Bruce and Tony took some time to assess your abilities. "You have an amazing gift, that much is clear," Tony concludes, "If you want, maybe you'd become one of us." "Really?" you frowned slightly, "You'd want someone like me to be apart of this team?" "What do you mean?" Steve asks. "Well it's just, I don't exactly hear things the way you all do, and even with my vibration senses I feel I may be more of a liability then an asset," you reply self-doubt laced in your voice.

Clint then pulled you aside. He signs to you so only you and him could have this conversation. "You're not doubting yourself because of your deafness are you?" he asks. "Maybe a little," you sign back, "I would like to help, but what if I my vibration senses fail and I can't hear what any of you are saying in a life or death situation?" "If it weren't for you, none of us would have found out what those HYDRA agents were up to," Clint points out. "Really?" you say. Clint nods, "I've been tailing those guys for days, I'd never would have gotten close the way you do. You're the reason why we were able to save the city. That takes a whole lot of courage to do what you did." You smile a little. "You know," Clint continues, "There is a man I met once in Hell's Kitchen. He's blind, but that doesn't stop him from fighting crime, keeping the streets safe at night. If someone like him can be a hero, then you can be one to." At that moment you felt the most confident you ever felt in years. "Well since you put it that way, I'd love to take that offer to join the Avengers."

After that conversation you announced that you would join the team. Later in the day you found Natasha, having found out she was also fluent in ASL. "Hey," you sign to her, "What's Clint's relationship status?" "He's single at the moment," Natasha signs back, "Why do you ask." "Oh nothing," you smile cheekily at the thought, "I just think he's incredibly cute."

I see I now have 6000 views. I appreciate the support.