[18]

Chapter Eighteen[3

Chapter Eighteen
[3.7k words]

---.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.---

They had a very enjoyable lesson. Professor Lupin had brought along a glass box containing a Hinkypunk, a little one-legged creature who looked as though he were made of wisps of smoke, rather frail and harmless looking.

"Lures travelers into bogs," said Professor Lupin as they took notes. "You notice the lantern dangling from his hand? Hops ahead — people follow the light — then —"

The Hinkypunk made a horrible squelching noise against the glass. Throughout the class, Hoseok had been covering his ears and hiding behind Yoongi's shoulders.

When the bell rang, everyone gathered up their things and headed for the door, Yuna, Jimin and Taehyung among them, but — "Wait a moment, you three," Lupin called. "I'd like a word."

They exchanged a look with other and nodded at the professor.

"You guys can go ahead, I think?" they said to the other guys.

They doubled back and watched Professor Lupin covering the Hinkypunk's box with a cloth.

"I was there during the match," he began turning back to his desk and starting to pile books into his briefcase, "...and I'm sorry about your broomstick, Taehyung. Is there any chance of fixing it?"

"Nope," said Taehyung. "It smashed to bits somehow and I have no idea how it did."

Lupin sighed.

"About the dementors..." Yuna brought up quietly.

"Yes. I don't think any of us have seen Professor Bang that angry. They have been growing restless for some time... furious at his refusal to let them inside the grounds." the professor turned to Taehyung, "They were the reasons you fell off your broom, right?"

"Yes," said Taehyung. He hesitated, and then the question he had to ask burst from him before he could stop himself. "But why do they affect me like that? Am I just —"

Lupin shook his head.

"It has nothing to do with weakness," said Yuna calmly, as though she had read his mind. Lupin guessed she would speak on that on his behalf.

"The Dementors affect you worse than the others because there are horrors in your
life that the others don't have." she said.

Jimin watched her talk and she seemed to be on the same wavelength as Taehyung. Something made him feel a bit impassive about this.

A ray of wintry sunlight fell across the classroom, illuminating Lupin's gray hairs and the lines on his young face.

"It must be your bloodline," Jimin whispered to Taehyung.

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them. Even Muggles feel their presence, though they can't see them. Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself, soul-less and evil. You'll be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life." Lupin said.

"The worst that happened to you was enough to make anyone fall off their broom. You have nothing to feel ashamed of." Yuna said simply.

Lupin nodded.

"Professor —" Jimin hesitated. The other two also turned to him, "I had a nightmare where I was the one playing the match and Taehyung never substituted for me, and in that nightmare I was the one who was attacked by the Dementor. When they were near me, I could hear —"

"He heard Voldemort murdering his mum," Yuna completed for Jimin.