[64]

Chapter Sixty-four[4

Chapter Sixty-four
[4.4k words]

--.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.---

There were people standing in the shadowy hall below, silhouetted against the streetlight glowing through the glass door; eight or nine of them, all, as far as they could see, looking up at them.

"Lower your wands, ladies and boys, before yall take someone's eyes out," said a low, growling voice.

"Wait, who —?" Yuna tilted her neck slightly, peeking.

Their hearts were thumping uncontrollably. They knew that voice, but they did not lower their wands.

"Professor Moody?" they said uncertainly.

"I don't know so much about 'Professor,' " growled the voice, "never got round to much teaching, did I? Get down here, we want to see yall properly."

Jimin lowered his wand slightly, the others as well, but did not relax his grip on it, nor did he move. They had very good reason to be suspicious. They had recently spent nine months in what he had thought was Mad-Eye Moody's company only to find out that it wasn't Moody at all, but an impostor; an impostor, moreover, who had tried to kill Jimin before
being unmasked.

But before he could make a decision about what to do next, a second, slightly hoarse voice floated upstairs, "It's all right, Jimin. We've come to take yall away."

Jimin's heart leapt. They knew that voice too, though they hadn't heard it for more than a year.

"P-Professor Lupin?" Namjoon said, surprised. "Is that you?"

"Why are we all standing in the dark?" said a third voice, this one completely unfamiliar, a woman's. "Lumos."

A wand tip flared, illuminating the hall with magical light.

They blinked. The people below were crowded around the foot of the stairs, gazing intently up at them, some craning their heads for a better look. Remus Lupin stood nearest to him. Though still quite young, Lupin looked tired and rather ill; he had more gray hair than when
Jimin had said good-bye to him, and his robes were more patched and shabbier than ever. Nevertheless, he was smiling broadly at Jimin,
who tried to smile back through his shock.

"Oooh, he looks just like I thought he would," said the witch who was holding her lit wand aloft. She looked the youngest there; she had
a pale heart-shaped face, dark twinkling eyes, and short spiky hair that was a violent shade of violet. "Wotcher, Jimin!"

"Yeah, I see what you mean, Remus," said a bald black wizard standing farthest back; he had a deep, slow voice and wore a single gold hoop in his ear. "He looks exactly like Jihyun."

"Except the eyes," said a wheezy-voiced, silver-haired wizard at the back. "Eunha's eyes. He grew up very handsome!"

"These kids are pretty rowdy aren't they? Wands out the very moment they heard pipes gurgling and floor creaks." laughed Lupin taking a look at his old students with a smile.