[79]

Chapter Seventy-nine[9

[9.7k+ words]

---.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.---

When Jimin and Yuna had crept back inside the castle with Horace Slughorn's hair in their possession, they noticed the school was oddly uncrowded and felt slightly incomplete. It made it easier for them to go to Bang's office, though.

"Sir! We've got it! The memory from Slughorn!" they said, pulling out a tiny glass bottle and showed it to Bang who looked stunned for a moment.

"Both of you, this is spectacular news! Very well done indeed! I knew you could do it! And now," said Bang, placing the stone basin upon his
desk and emptying the contents of the bottle into it. "Now, at last, we shall see. Jimin, quickly..."

They bowed obediently over the Pensieve and felt their feet leave the office floor. Once again they fell through darkness and landed in Horace Slughorn's office many years before.

They began seeing memories that Slughorn had been keeping away from them... It was different from what they saw before.

"Go on..." said Slughorn casually.

"I was in the library the other night, in the Restricted section. And I read something rather odd about a bit of rare magic. And I thought perhaps you could illuminate me."

Slughorn's forehead creased slightly as he went on.

"It's called, as I understand it..." This time, what Tom said wasn't indistinct. He finished his sentence. "...a Horcrux."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I came across the term while reading and I didn't fully understand it." said Tom.

Slughorn's shoulders stiffened slightly.

"I'm not sure what you were reading, Tom, but this is very dark stuff." he said calmly.

That'd be the reason Tom Riddle came to him though.

"A Horcrux is an object in which a person has concealed part of their soul." Slughorn began grimly, his eyebrows joining.

Tom walked closer, "But I don't understand how that works, Professor."

His voice was carefully controlled, but they could sense his excitement.

"One splits one's soul and hides a part of it in an object. By doing so, you're protected, should you be attacked and your body destroyed." Slughorn was explaining the way a teacher would, completely unaware of how much it had affected the current time.

"Protected?" said Tom.

"That part of your soul that is hidden lives on. In other words, you cannot die." Slughorn said gruffly, observing his student's unreadable expression warily and not realizing that he had been holding an empty cup for like forever.