[97]

Chapter Ninety-seven[23k words]

[23k words]

---.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.---

After he couldn't speak, she wondered if he ever expected a different retort. The forest whistled silently around them, the ringing siren beginning to fade away with her patience and the violet vines curling the tall trees glowed dimly to confirm that they were already in the forest.

"That's not it," he said with a stutter, so quiet which gave away that he had nothing to back up with. A part of him knew he did something wrong, he simply wasn't sure of how to confront her like this.

"What is there? What is it then?" she asked, "Is there some kind of righteous reason behind it? I don't think so."

She was trying to look at it rationally and there was no point to continue the fight in the middle of a crisis even if her forbearance was provoked. She felt no sign of stirring, movement or any attempt at feigning for himself from Jimin.

"We'll split. You wanted to look for your basilisks, right?" she asked him with a low sigh, "And I'll look for the lake. Maybe you can sense them if you're nearby."

"What? No, that's not safe." he said quickly as though he just jolted from a dream. She hid her disbelief.

"Not really. I haven't let myself blow off some steam for years."

"Don't be ridiculous —"

There was laughter. Yuna saw something beyond the leaves at once and thought that it was odd until she recalled something similar happening before. Jimin stared around tensely —

"Who's there?" they stood on guard but he didn't catch it at first what she did; children sneering from within the shadows of the jungle.

She gripped his hand and broke into a sprint with him despite his conflicted confusion, "I think I saw some imperiused people."

And she was grateful only one of them saw it. It was just a silhouette but they looked freakishly sinister and nothing like what she saw in the colourful gift shop.

"Did they expect us? If Joong Gi can see us through them..." he quickened his pace, smartly not stealing glances over his shoulder, "This place does sense you way better than we feared, I don't think we have to split up —"

"You think I seriously want to? Anyway," she groaned breathlessly as they kept running to wherever the cleared grass-filled paths led them to, and felt something in her pocket.

At least Pheo sneaked in a wand inside when we went.

Jimin ran his hands through his hair when they stopped running, allegedly feeling frustrated because he just remembered her stubborn side.