Billy Hargrove X Harrington!Reader - It's Not Right

A/N - This chapter is very loosely based on the song It's Not Right But It's Okay by Whitney Houston. Reader is Steve's sister, but this is set a few years after all of the Stranger Things stuff when they're all adults. I hope you all enjoy it. 

Billy had been pretty shocked when he'd walked into your apartment to find you marching around as if you were on a mission. Sitting in the middle of the floor was a black bin bag, filled with whatever you could find littering your living room. A couple of sweaters that you borrowed from him early on in your relationship. The stuffed bear he'd won you from an arcade machine on one of your first dates. A real pretty dress that he'd bought you for your birthday after you'd seen it in the store and claimed it was too expensive for you to even consider buying it. Yep, in that bag was an entire two-year relationship of stuff all gathered in one place. 

"Sweetheart?" Billy hummed, watching as your head shot up to look at him, tear streaks stained onto your cheeks. "Baby, what's going on?"

You shook your head slightly, attempting to calm yourself as you swallowed down the lump forming in your throat. "Who were you out with last night?" you started, your voice far less powerful than you had been hoping as you stared at him, your eyes glazed and hazy. Clearly, you'd been getting worked up over this for some time, and now that he was here, it seemed you'd lost the energy to be as dynamically angry as you had hoped to be. 

"I told you-"

"You went out with the boys from Basketball," you pressed on, interrupting. "Yeah, I know that's what you told me when you got home, but I saw the card receipt. I'm not stupid." 

Billy's brow furrowed slightly, his mouth opening as if he wanted to say something.

"You said there were 6 of you," you reminded him. "But if that's true, then they must've been really cheap, because there were only two meals on that fucking check," you pressed, growing louder as you went. 

"Sweetheart, it isn't what you think-"

"Who is she?" you interrupted, and God, Billy couldn't help but feel his heart shatter in his chest at the expression on your face. He had known that lying to you was stupid, but Hell, he hadn't expected it to blow up like this. When he released a soft sigh, it was as if he'd hit a trigger. "Who the fuck is she, Billy?" you repeated, and shit, he'd never heard you yell before. He'd never seen you so damn mad about anything. 

"I'm not sleeping around, Baby-"

You scoffed. "I don't believe you."

"I promise you-"

"I don't believe you," you repeated again. "Who is she?"

Billy hesitated for a moment, his tongue darting out to wet his bottom lip. "I went out for dinner with Steve last night," he finally confessed. "You can call him and check. You know he wouldn't lie for me."

Your expression had shifted from angry to confused so quickly that in any other situation, Billy probably would have laughed at you. "What?" you uttered, brow furrowed tightly. 

"Steve and I went out for dinner. Decided it wasn't fair on you for us to keep on bickering like we're still dumb teenagers and we aired some shit out." 

"Oh," you murmured, swallowing down the lump in your throat. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Billy cleared his throat, scratching at the back of his neck. "Because the reason I wanted to go out with him was to ask his permission to propose," he told you. "I wanted it to be a surprise when I asked you to marry me."

And then, you were crying again, tears streaming down your face as you threw yourself at him, letting him wrap you up in his arms. "I ruined it," you sobbed, your tears soaking into Billy's shirt. "I'm sorry-"

"Shush," he hummed out, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. "I lied to you. It only makes sense that you were mad about it."

"But-"

"No," he interrupted, pulling back to look down at you, his hands cupping your cheeks. "I shouldn't have lied to you. Should've just told you I was going out with Steve rather than coming up with some stupid story." 

You swallowed down your sobs, reaching up to wipe away your tears, your face still resting in Billy's hands. "You guys are really trying to patch everything up?"

He nodded, pressing a quick kiss to your forehead. "I want to spend my life with you, Baby. And I want our kids to love their uncle as much as you do, but they can't do that if I'm always arguing with him over stupid shit that happened when we were teenagers, right?"

"Right," you uttered, a small smile pulling at your lips. "Are you still going to ask me to marry you, even though I ruined the surprise?"

A soft chuckle slipped out of Billy, his chest rumbling as he tugged you closer to him, wrapping his arms tightly around you. "'Course I am. I'm not stupid, Baby. I know I've got a good thing going on here. There's not a chance in Hell I'd risk losing that."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x