Chapter 32

That night, the group went back to their inn with a deep sense of uncertainty. The hours of the next day passed in painful slowness. Cedric spent hours in meditation. Ara' Sei walked around Duskholme with Eris, constantly trying to cool her nerves. Zerai waited impatiently in his remote little room in the slums, trying his best to not get too excited.

       As dusk descended upon Duskholme, the four adventurers made their way to Zerai's solitary room. Zerai provided a few more details, including the names of the ships that belonged to the slaver's guild. Then, he guided all of them towards the manor of the government member who was closely tied to the slaver's guild. Zerai was able to provide the fact that her name was Aria Deralis.

       Cedric used a spell that masked their footsteps and made them blend in more easily. Eris had purchased a few cloaks earlier in the day, which made it easier for the group to blend into the fading light. Through Zerai's confident guidance and Cedric's magic, they were able to blend in perfectly. Once they got to near to Aria's manor, they took a backroad where they would avoid the guards that stood at the front of the manor.

       "Okay, so. Ella. Ara'Sei. The three of us will stay here." Zerai explained. Then, he looked to Eris and Cedric.

       "You two will be the ones risking your necks the most tonight. Are you okay with that?" Zerai asked. Both of them nodded confidently.

       "Alright, I know what I have to do at the docks. Eris, I'll give you a spell that will help you remain stealthy, even when I am far away." Cedric explained to Eris as he put a hand on their shoulder. Then, he muttered an incantation and his hand glowed a familiar emerald green color as he channeled his power.

       "Stay safe Eris, and don't worry about me, I'll get away just fine." Cedric said. Eris smiled.

       "Thank you, Cedric." Eris replied with a smile.

       "You're welcome, truly." Cedric said, before his form shifted into that of a rat and he scurried off. Eris looked up at the ten foot high border wall that stood before them. After taking five steps back, they ran forward, leapt up, and in a blur they scaled the wall and landed silently on the other side.

       Eris looked around them at the lush, beautiful garden. It was filled with hedges and dotted by two fountains. Eris was silently able to move between hedges. The spell Cedric had cast on them made their movements quicker and more precise. The manor itself was three stories high. While Zerai had given them a clue that the seal was probably near Aria's bedchambers, Eris had no idea where in the massive manor the bedchambers could be.

       Nevertheless, they snuck up to the edge of the manor. Looking up, they could see handholds and footholds that lead to a balcony on the second story of the manor. It was perfect. Eris rubbed their hands together, and then leapt up, reaching the first handhold. Then, they quickly navigated from one hold to another. One uneven stone here, another decorative feature here. Eris was able to get up to the balcony silently. Then, they saw the door, and immediately recognized it as locked.

       They took out a piece of thin, twined metal, then took a deep breath. After trying for around thirty seconds, Eris heard a quiet click, and pulled the door open. Then, they entered the manor, they were in, but now they had a seal to find.