Chapter 153

"What?!" Cedric shouted. Everyone in the group looked to the two of them. All of them looked around wildly, confused as to what was happening.

       "A-Are you sure?" Cedric asked, his eyes wide.

       "I'm fairly certain, it's the only thing I know about that can alter the environment around it, and it's definitely powerful enough to leave no trace of its kills behind." Eris explained.

       "What is it?" Zerai asked.

       "Well, Cedric and I were talking, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I think the threat that's lurking in the Northern Woods is a green dragon that's made its lair nearby." Eris explained. Ara' Sei gasped.

       "A dragon?" She asked.

       "You've heard of dragons, Ara' Sei?" Cedric asked.

       "Well, there were stories of a dragon living in the Southern Walls that would occasionally take rampages across Sathun." Ara' Sei said.

       "I've heard of them too. I heard stories about a few that lived in the desert across the Central Mountains." Ella added.

       "I've never heard of them in the Northern Woods though!" Cedric said.

       "There are many different kinds, I don't remember them all, but they live in all kinds of places." Eris said.

       "Well, have you two heard of them altering the landscape around them?" Cedric asked Ara' Sei and Ella. Both of them shook their heads.

       "See, m-maybe you misremembered something about dragons." Cedric stammered. Eris shook their head.

       "No, I'm pretty sure this is a dragon." Eris said. Cedric stared at the floor.

       "Well, what's important is what we do about it." Zerai said.

       "What should we do?" Cedric asked. Zerai stepped forward.

       "You're confident as to the location of the strange grove, so once we get to the edge, we'll stop. We'll probably need time to regather ourselves before the battle happens. Then, we'll approach the dragon's lair, and fight it there. Eris, do you remember anything about dragons that might help us?" Zerai asked.

       "Well, I think their influence over the environment is strongest closest to them. This means the dragon's probably customized the forest to its own needs, it might be dangerous to fight it inside of its lair." Eris explained.

       "In other words, if possible, we should lure it out?" Zerai clarified. Eris nodded in response.

       "Okay, so, we'll do our best to lure it out, with what?" Zerai asked. Eris raised their hand.

       "I can create large illusions. I could make an illusion of us while we stay back. Cedric has magic that can help us hide." Eris said. Cedric nodded.

       "I can do that." He said.

       "What if that plan fails?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "Then we'll have to fight it in its home, as dangerous as it may be. We've faced massive demons before, I'm certain we can face this if we work together." Zerai said.

       "So, the plan for tomorrow is to make it to the edge of the weird grove, and that's it." Cedric clarified. Zerai nodded.

       "We need to give ourselves plenty of time to navigate through the grove and fight it." Zerai said.

       The group was now in consensus on a plan, and they all managed to find uneasy sleep.

       The next morning, they awoke to a cool, slightly misty day. Once again, they had set out early, but now they had a goal in mind. And most of all, they now knew what awaited them in the mysterious grove.