Chapter 149

The residents of Sanctuary Grove all gathered around a fire pit. Varhine magically set the bonfire alight before bringing it down to embers with an incantation.

       Above the bonfire sat a cauldron filled with boiling liquid. Varhine tossed in spices, herbs, and other various ingredients. After around twenty minutes of waiting, she passed bowls around to the people around. Then, with a ladle, she served everyone food.

       After the food was passed around, everyone sat on the ground in their own groups. The newcomers to Sanctuary Groves were greeted by an ensemble of curious looks, stares, and glances. The food itself was a stew, which was surprisingly good.

       The late afternoon light faded into evening, and the sky above turned a purplish blue. After some time had passed, the group had finished their meal. Cedric guided the group to where they put the bowls when they were done, and then they all went back to their dome of brambles and bushes.

       As evening faded to pitch black night, Cedric tried to sneak out of the bramble dome. Silently, Eris followed behind him, cautiously stepping over their sleeping companions.

       Eris followed Cedric to the center of the clearing in Sanctuary Grove. The sky was clearly visible above. There was no city anywhere nearby, and countless stars were clearly visible above. Eris walked up next to Cedric, no longer trying to hide.

       "Oh! I didn't see you there." Cedric whispered.

       "Hey, whatcha doin?" Eris asked.

       "I was just coming out here to look at the stars." Cedric said. Eris looked around at the clearing.

       "So, this is where you learned druidic magic?" Eris asked.

       "Not entirely, we only stay here in the late Summer and through the Fall. We spend the rest of the year traveling to other places." Cedric explained.

       "Like where?" Eris asked.

       "Oh... for the Winter we travel South closer to Erathir. Then in the Summer we go up into the Northern Mountains. Then, in the Fall, we stay here." Cedric said.

       "So that's how you found yourself here despite being from Erathir." Eris said.

       "Yeah, my parents gave me over to the druids when I was younger. Erathir is a... complicated place. People there tend to have mixed attitudes in regards to elves, dwarves, orcs and whatnot. So, my parents gave me to the druids, and they're far less discriminatory here." Cedric said with a faint smile.

       Cedric clutched Eris' hand in his. Eris leaned their head on Cedric's shoulder.

       "I was happy here when I was younger, but about two years ago everything started changing, and I ran." Cedric said solemnly.

       "There are plenty of younger people here, but those that I grew up with... are absent. As druids, it's our duty to protect nature from those that would threaten its balance. So, once you're ready for that task, you're sent out into the Forests to patrol there, looking for threats to the balance. Whatever this thing is just happens to be one of those threats." Cedric explained.

       "Are you sure you're ready for this?" Eris asked. Cedric looked to Eris.

       "We have fought wizards, demons, slavers, and whatever was down in that temple, I think we are ready for whatever this could be." Cedric said.

       "Alright, I trust you on this." Eris said with a smile. Then, they kissed Cedric on the forehead and walked back to the dome. Cedric took one last look at the stars overhead before going back to the dome.

       Despite what awaited them the next day, the group was able to rest easy.