Chapter 191

The level of light didn't change as the hours passed. But after about three hours the group took out their bedrolls, and Cedric provided everyone with magical berries and water.

       "I've been thinking a lot as we've walked, but I just can't figure out where we are, or what kind of magic it would take to block planar travel like that. Obviously, death's mouth was some kind of portal to get here." Brie said.

       "Not to mention, the tablet has been relatively correct about several things. Upon the sea to the South, you shall find the greatest key. Deep within death's mouth, you shall find the melody. If you will accept its call, then the truth is what you'll see. If you fully heed this message, you will be the lord of all. So far, we've gotten deep into death's mouth, we found the melody. But, is this the truth?" Ara' Sei said, gesturing at the endless gray landscape.

       "What should we be looking for?" Cedric asked.

       "Any signs of life, or just anything that's different in this landscape." Zerai replied.

       "I've got a spell right now that may help, but it can only see such things within a few miles. Just give me a few minutes." Cedric said, before putting his hands on the dusty ground and muttering to himself.

       "While he's doing that, what should we be doing?" Zerai asked.

       "I can fly up and see if I can see anything from high above." Ara' Sei said. She let her divine power flow to her shoulders, and her spectral, angelic wings sprouted from her back. She took to the sky and flew a few hundred feet up over the next minute. But, looking around, nothing was different. They had fallen from an ocean of boiling water, and into another made entirely of dust. Then, she flew back down.

       "I saw absolutely nothing, it's like an ocean of this horrible dust." Ara' Sei said, looking at the ground.

       "At least the temperature is tolerable." Brie said.

       "Yeah, I suppose you're right." Zerai said. Brie flipped through her spellbook. Once again, she was desperately looking for something that could help them. Then, her eyes widened.

       "Wait... I have a spell that can contact people across any distance. Most likely, it can work across planes as well. I could probably contact someone that I know to see if they can find anything about this!" Brie said.

       "When can you do that?" Ella asked.

       "Tomorrow, I've written down how to cast the spell, I just need to go over it more closely tomorrow. Then, I can send about four short messages. At least, I hope that this works and it isn't blocked in the same way your planar travel spell was blocked." Brie answered.

       "Okay, that's definitely a good plan for tomorrow." Zerai said.

       Soon, Cedric was done with his spell, and he shook his head.

       "Even in a normal desert, there would be something. But here, there's just nothing, nothing at all. This place is unnatural in so many ways. I'm so sorry, I wish I could do something about it but I'm afraid not." Cedric said.

       "Well, let's try to get some rest. Tomorrow morning, we'll make a better plan going forward. You and Brie can magically prepare yourselves for this place. Then, we might have a better chance." Zerai explained.

       "What kind of magic should I have ready?" Cedric asked.

       "Survival, as well as anything that would help us travel across this desert." Eris replied. Cedric nodded his head.

       "I can definitely do that." Cedric said. Then, the group went to sleep, finally ready for the day to come.