Chapter 154

Cedric was marking trees with messages as often as he could. They were warnings of the dragon, and the strange forest that surrounded it.

       The first four hours of travel were somewhat difficult. The light mist made it more difficult to tell where the sun was, and it was difficult to see more than a hundred feet away.

       However, as the group took their midday break to rest, eat, and drink water, the mist gradually faded. The group eagerly set out again towards the grove.

       It was clear that they were making uniquely good progress. Cedric was getting a feel for the woods around him, guiding the group around tangles, brambles, and thickets.

       In the late afternoon, they saw it.

       Ahead of them lay deep green, thorny thickets that formed a wall in front of them. A strange, acrid smell hung faintly in the air. The trees on the other side had a slightly different color.

       Cedric closed his eyes and listened to the forest. The birds chirping, the occasional crunching of leaves in the distance. He opened his eyes, a drop of sweat flowing down the back of his neck.

       "Yup. This is it." He said.

       "What's wrong?" Ella asked.

       "That. This place feels wrong, and forcefully altered." Cedric said, pointing at the massive wall of thickets, as well as the forest beyond it.

       "Well, that's exactly what happened to it." Eris said. The two looked back towards them.

       "This can alter forests to its will. I don't know. I definitely don't like it, a druid's very job is to weed out imbalances such as this." Cedric said.

       "That's probably why so many others went towards it. To you, it's so obviously wrong." Eris said.

       "And yet, they had no idea what lay within it." Cedric said, dread creeping through him.

       "Don't worry! We'll tackle it tomorrow!" Ella said.

       The group decided to sleep a little ways away from the strange grove. Eventually, all of them were able to find uneasy sleep.

       When they woke up the next morning, all of them found magical berries on a piece of fabric on the ground, and everyone's waterskins were full. Cedric was already meditating.

       The group gladly ate the magical berries and drank from their waterskins. Soon, Cedric was finished meditating. He looked to each of the group members, who already had packed their stuff. Eris handed Cedric's piece of fabric back to him, and Cedric stowed it away.

       "I take it we're all ready?" Cedric asked. Everyone glanced around before agreeing that they were ready to go.

       "Okay, let's go." Cedric said.

       After a few minutes, Ella and Cedric had found a way through the wall of vegetation that surrounded the grove.

       The grove itself was surreal, and terrifying. Mist hung across the ground, and what little light made it through the canopy above was tainted with green light. Instead of the usual dead leaves, the ground was overflowing with lush, bright green vegetation. It was difficult to see more than twenty feet away without the view being obstructed by thickets, mist, or both.

      However, even in an unfamiliar forest and with the looming threat ahead of him, Cedric was still able to lead the group forward.